Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mt. Helena

The living room's picture window provides a perfect view of Mt. Helena and the trailhead to the top is a mere two and a half miles from the Hatch family home. It's a hike most of us have done many times, but this was our first time climbing the mountain together.

Here's our little family at the top:



It's not an easy hike.  But it's absolutely beautiful and the views are fabulous!

Since we all hike at different paces, we started in waves so that we'd end up on top close to the same time.


The kids did great!  Caleb and Seth were especially speedy but even Henry and Sadie were great little hikers.




Here's Grandpa looking toward his home where he's lived for over 40 years:




A view of The Sleeping Giant (start on the right and follow the horizon to the left.  Can you see him?):


I ran down the hill with the little boys; Ian, Sam and Owen.  They wanted to stay ahead of me but I ran down after them not wanting them to get lost.  I did make a wrong turn at one point and we ended up going down a trail so steep that it sent all four of us sliding onto our rear ends.  In the end, we were the first ones back to the cars.  That down hill run left me with incredibly sore thighs but it was just so much fun.

When we got back to the car, I wanted to get a bit more of a workout so I decided to run to the Staggering Ox, which was where the family was meeting for lunch.  (It is, by the way, the BEST sandwich place EVER!)

My little hiking buddies (my three, super fun, super cool nephews) decided they wanted to run with me.  They assured me they could make it and you know what?  They kept up pretty well!  Just look at these red faces:


I loved the hike.  I loved that we did it together.  I loved being with Ian, Sam and Owen.  It was certainly a reunion highlight for me.

2 comments:

Jen Childers said...

It's my favorite thing to do in Helena and I'm so glad we all did it!

Lucy said...

Sam's face is cherry tomato red!! You are kind and good for letting them tag along with you. What a "big kid" experience for them....running all the way to the restaurant!

I love that hike as well and am so glad that we did it all together.