Wednesday, July 25, 2012

D-da-Drummond

It's exactly what I picture the middle of nowhere to look like.  But it's beautiful and it's Grandma and Grandpa's childhood home on the range.   So they took us to Drummond, Montana for a little family history tour.



We started at the high school where Grandma graduated in 1952 and Grandpa in 1955.

Grandpa was a cheerleader back in those days so he taught all the grandkids the D-da-Drummond cheer.



"Drummond!"  Look at Grandpa catch air:



The hallway is lined with pictures of the graduates of Drummond High.  Here's Grandpa:




And here's Grandma's class (she's in the bottom left corner):


Grandpa's sister La Rae is right above Grandma's picture:


Here's one of Jon's cousins, Chad (bottom row, middle), who graduated in the same class as our friend, Tammy, who lives in our ward. Caleb recognized her right away.  Such a small world.


The trophy on the left had two of Jon's uncles' names on it; one from the Parker side and one from the Hatch side.  It's a basketball trophy from 1954.



Next we drove down the road to see the land where Grandma and Grandpa once lived.  Jon spent many summers working this land when his uncle, Fred, owned it.


Here's a view of some of the property that once belonged to the Parker's:


See that mailbox?  That's the mailbox that held the many love letters that Jon and I sent to each other after we'd fallen madly in love.  We met in Guatemala in the spring of 1995 and when we returned to the US in June, Jon went to his uncle's house to work on the ranch and I was far away, working my cushy office job in Yakima, WA.  Those letters were pages and pages of our sappy pining for one another and they got us through until we could be reunited at BYU in the next fall.  I still have all of those letters.


Just down the road from Drummond is an even smaller town named Hall, Montana.  It was here that Grandma and Grandpa went to elementary school.


The kids loved playing on the primitive playground.



Grandma and Grandpa even got in on the fun...



Then we visited some other parts of the land that Grandma used to work as a youngster.  Jon remembered working that same land decades later when he spent summers in Drummond.



Our last stop in Drummond was Flint creek to see where Grandma was baptized.




What beautiful land full of family history!  We had a great time in Drummond and I can't even say the name without having Grandpa's cheer of D-da-Drummond singing in my head.

4 comments:

Holly said...

I can't be the only one who sees the resemblance between Grandpa Hatch's high school picture and Caleb, right?!?

SuburbiaMom said...

What a wonderful trove of family history you have in Drummond!!

Jen Childers said...

I learned a lot on that trip. It's the first time I'd seen a lot of those places. You are doing a great job documenting...can I just copy you? :)

Tammy said...

Oh man! I wish I could just copy your blog! I'm FROM Drummond and don't have any pictures OF Drummond! (Actually, I took a couple of "downtown" Drummond on this last trip.) I just wish you'd stopped in to see my parents so Steven could have surprised you. :)