Monday, December 3, 2007

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

As soon as the Thanksgiving turkey is put away, we start decking the halls for Christmas. I just love getting all the decorations out. Jon tackles the job of the outdoor lights. Although it makes me nervous with him up on the roof, I think he makes the house look nice.

Everyone has a favorite kind of Christmas tree. Some like them fat, some like them lean, some like them real, some like the artificial. My tree suits me perfectly. It's an artificial, prelit with a triangular shape that's very pleasing to my eye. It's decorated with coordinating red and silver ornaments and ribbons. When I was a kid I always admired those pretty trees with matching ornaments in the fancy gift shops but my tree is full of sentiment as well.

My paternal grandmother passed away the day after Thanksgiving five years ago. I adored her. After the funeral, each of the grandkids was presented with a nice inheritance from her. We saved most of the money but decided we would use a portion to purchase a tree. We had only lived in our house for about six months, didn't have a ton of extra money and had never had a full-size Christmas tree. Our former home was small and since we had never had Christmas in our own house our table top tree had been adequate. Now that I had the space for a tree, I really desired a tree like those I had admired as a kid. Every year, as I fluff the branches, plug in the lights and carefully place the ornaments, I think of my grandma and offer a silent thank you.

As much as I love my tree, my favorite Christmas decoration is the nativity. It's always the first thing I put out and the hardest thing to put away when the season is over.

Our HOA hosts donuts with Santa each year. The kids look forward to their chance to share their wishes with good ol' St. Nick.

Caleb has asked for the Ratatouille Movie. I love that my nine-year-old is still so innocent and believing.

Alyssa asked for a baby doll. She's got plenty of them already but has misplaced her beloved "Kate" and desperately wants a replacement.


How cute is this picture of Natalie? This is the first year that she really understands what Santa was all about. Her desires are simple; she wants a blue present. I'm not sure where that came from but I'm sure Santa will be able to deliver something suitable.


The kids love making wish lists but they are just as excited to spend time reflecting on the real meaning of Christmas. They were thrilled to begin the scripture advent calendar and sing Christmas hymns. We attended "The Savior of the World" put on at our church and it was a great way to begin the Christmas season. The kids watched intently.

It's a busy but wonderful time of year.

11 comments:

Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny said...

Beautiful post! Everything looks so nice...really great.

I absolutely love the pictures of the kids with Santa. You seem to have captured each one's personality perfectly.

The last pic...well, let's just say, I'm still giggling.

Erin said...

Great pictures! I wish I could put up my nativity this year...I don't have any place that's out of reach for Anna.

Chad said...

So cute! I love the pictures of the kids! I hope to get the time this week to get my tree up as well.

Jackie said...

The kids look so cute all in red. Very festive. Natalie and Alyssa look so much alike. I had to take a second look at the picture. Your tree looks great.

Jackie said...

I almost forgot. The house looks great also!

jenny said...

So fun to actually have a visual of your house. And it looks awesome!!

I love that you used your grandmas money to purchase your tree. Something you will definitely treasure for years to come.

And I must say your kids are darling and I am wondering if Weston will be as brave as Natalie around Santa. Hmmm I guess I'll find out.

Bridget said...

So cute!!! I wish Alex would sit on Santa's lap. She is just freaked out by him and anything that resembles a mascot. Thank goodness we have not done Disney yet. :)

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing the pictures! Missing all of you. Karen

Heather said...

I have the same nativity scene and I LOVE it! Your tree looks great! I love the decorating for the holidays...I always feel so giddy while decorating the tree!

Lucy said...

Your house looks really good. And I must admit that this year we almost bought a pre-lit tree that I was basing on your enthusiastic recommendation and pretty pictures of your own. But...we bought a real one again. And it's pretty too.

Your kids are adorable and I loved your Christmas card. I keep wondering when you'll reach your peak in design and cuteness when it comes to card making - but you just keep topping yourself:)