Sunday, November 25, 2007

Heart-Pounding Moments

Caleb has participated in the Seattle Kids Marathon for the past three years. It's become part of our Thanksgiving tradition. We usually drag the kids around Seattle for some day-after-Thanksgiving shopping, which is something they loathe, and then check into a hotel, which is something they love. For them, the indoor pool is the best part about spending a night in a hotel. And the breakfast buffet is pretty good, too.

We got a little extra excitement at our usual hotel this year. We had been swimming, had some dinner and had gotten the kids ready for bed when the fire alarms sounded. A voice over an intercom system instructed us to evacuate the building. Though I never felt too panicked, it was a little unsettling and I rushed out without thinking to grab coats or shoes for the the girls. We waited outside for a few minutes as we watched the fire trucks come in. A few firefighters went into the building and though we could smell the smoke, we were cleared to reenter shortly thereafter. Just a little commotion to an otherwise peaceful stay.

Though a wrong turn on the way to the race threatened to keep Caleb from making it to the starting line, we arrived with only a few minutes to spare. I planned to run with Caleb, mostly for safety reasons (there were over 3,000 kids participating)but my heart pounded fiercely as I unsuccessfully tried to keep up with him. Once he made his way through the crowd at the start, he broke free and I couldn't keep up. Thankfully I was able to find him in the sea of people just beyond the finish line.

The rest of the day was set aside for the BYU-Utah game. Jon pushed play on the DVR and I settled in for my very short-lived set on the couch. My nerves go crazy anytime the Cougs play but when the Utes are the opponent, I simply cannot sit still. I can't just watch, I have to move. I scrub feverishly, stopping every few seconds to watch the next play. It was another thriller, one for the history books and the kitchen ended up sparkly clean. I thought my heart would jump right out of my chest but that's the best way to win!

6 comments:

Chad said...

What a game! Go Cougs!!

jenny said...

Glad it was nothing big--how horrible would that be?

I probably would be a bit nervous myself with that many kids participating. Jared did the 2 mile fun run with his cousin, but my SIL ran with them.

Go Cougs! We didn't watch the game, but saw ASU get slaughtered. It was a sad, sad, sight :(

Jackie said...

Tara-you need to come over and watch a BYU game at our house. I need a clean kitchen! That was a great game-I even got excited.

Stephanie said...

Congrats on your game this weekend. Can't say the Evans household had as great of luck with the football games (we had a few tears- both days).

The Marathon was fun, you will need to time Caleb next year, to see how much faster he gets each year. He's a "road runner".

Lucy said...

I can't believe Caleb is faster than you because you are mighty quick! What a family of runners.

I'm glad you didn't panic and everything turned out alright.

I wish we could have watched the game with you guys. We were dying at the stadium. My throat was hoarse for two days from screaming so much. It was awesome!

Calamity Jane said...

Tara, I am so glad I decided to not be competitive and feel bad about people doing SO MUCH. Are you trying out for Wonder Woman this year? Its not that I am bitter, but slow down girl, I can't keep up.