Friday, December 14, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Traditions--The Lights

*I have decided to document 12 of my favorite Christmas traditions in the 12 days leading up to Christmas. 

After putting up the tree, hanging lights on the house is the very next thing we do to get ready for Christmas.

I am particular about Christmas lights.  I believe less is more and I believe they should be perfectly straight with no cords or extra lights dangling messily off of the eaves.  Jon does an excellent job in following my "rules" when he hangs our lights every year.  

Simple.  And straight.  And on a timer so that they automatically go on at dusk and off at dawn.

I think it looks great!


He enlisted some help this year.  He let Caleb go on the roof to help with the second story lights, and he let Alyssa climb the tree to help string them around the branches.


As pretty as they are, this was the year that my worst fear about hanging lights came true.  

I was in the garage when I heard the most terrible crash.  I knew instantly that Jon had fallen off the ladder.  There was simply no other explanation for the dreadful clamor that occurred.  I yelled to Jon but he didn't answer me.  I thought my heart would jump right out of my chest as I ran to find him, continually calling his name.  Thankfully he came hobbling around the corner hurt, but alive!  He was quite sore for a couple of days but fortunately his injuries were nothing more than some pretty good scrapes and bruises.  Hopefully he'll be more cautious on the ladder next time.  It definitely makes me nervous. 


Don't you just love Christmas lights?

2 comments:

Granny said...

Beautiful! Be careful Jonny Boy!

Jen Childers said...

I do love Christmas lights and I love my husband for putting them up too! Glad Jon is o.k.!