Thursday, December 20, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Traditions--Christmas Cookies



Christmas simply wouldn't be Christmas without my grandma's "So Good" cookies.  Except she didn't call them "So Good," that was the name my sister-in-law, Maureen, gave them about 16 years ago.  But since "So Good" is the perfect description, the name stuck and we've been calling them by that name ever since.  They're fabulous any time of year but at Christmas, they're essential.



Gingersnaps are also a family favorite.  Perfect at Christmastime.  

I usually try a new recipe each year.  This year it was chocolate cookies with candy cane kisses.  I made these gluten-free and they were quite popular.  The cookie jar was emptied almost as soon as it was filled.  Another batch will be in order before Christmas Eve.


And though it's not a cookie, my grandma's English toffee is also a Christmas must.  I promised her several years ago that I would make it every year in her honor since the tradition has become too much for her to carry on.  I'm happy to do it.  We love it almost as much as we love her!


Caleb's not happy with my sentiment that chocolate chip cookies are not Christmas cookies.

What is your favorite Christmas cookie?

4 comments:

Erin said...

We always do layer bars, lemon bars, gingersnaps and almond fudge topped shortbread. I made a new almond roca cookie this year that is REALLY good!

Jen Childers said...

Yummy! I could go for some of those so good cookies right about now :) I'd have to agree with you that chocolate chip are not really Christmas cookies, but that's only because we have them so often other times of the year. Not sure what my favorite "christmas" cookie is. I do enjoy the peanut butter ones with the hershey kiss.

Maureen said...

I'm wishing for some so-good cookies right now. I think soft frosted sugar cookies are my holiday favorite-no question!!

Chad said...

So goods and English Toffee are at the top of my list. This post made me really crave both!