Monday, November 5, 2012

Our Candy Bar



I wasn't going to sort this year, but then I just couldn't control myself.  I didn't do the usual counting and graphing and because I was working full time last week, couldn't get to the sorting until three days after Halloween, when our stash was already considerably diminished.

I know, sorting is strange.  But something about that giant bowl--I don't believe in the kids keeping their candy separate--with the fruity and chocolate all mixed together feels unorganized and messy to me.  So I sort.  Plus I like to see which brands go first and which last the longest.


I actually did a candy experiment early in the month of October.  I bought a Sam's Club-sized bag of chocolate and sorted each variety into several different containers. (See below)


I set the candy on the table on Monday at 6:03 p.m.  I then recorded the following predictions:

  • Reese's would be the first to go and they would all be gone by 9:30 that same evening. (There were more Reese's in the bag than any of the other varieties and they also filled a glass jar which I kept on the coffee table in the living room.)  
  • Kit Kat would go second.
  • Hershey's third.
  • Whoppers fourth.
  • Almond Joy last.  (This would be a direct reflection on me since I knew full well I was the only member of the family that likes them.)
The Reese's actually lasted until 2:40 on Wednesday.  Other than that, I was spot on!  We did get some help from our neighborhood kids and Natalie took a couple candy bars a day to her teacher, but the stash was close to gone by the end of that week. 

I even learned one thing from this experiment: none of my kids like Whoppers.  Really?  Doesn't everyone like Whoppers?  Well Jon and I do, so we took care of those.

Our Halloween candy bar is now smaller by four containers.  The Twix, Starburst and Tootsie Rolls were the first to go and there are only four Snickers left.  

Should I make a prediction about how long the rest will last?


4 comments:

Granny said...

I think I helped wipe out the tootsie rolls. Does that schew your results.

Jen Childers said...

I don't really like whoppers and I don't think I'd waste calories eating them. Reese's yes! I like your table display...such a fun idea.

Chad said...

Wow!

Lucy said...

Cute. To me, the oddest thing about Halloween candy is how, once a year, I suddenly find Heath bars and Butterfingers irresistible. I would never, ever buy one but put them in a fun size wrapper inside a plastic pumpkin and its major craving!

No one likes whoppers around here but Henry. He got a lot of them:)