Monday, September 24, 2012

Here Comes the Sun

Lest my last post had you thinking we're living life under a dark cloud, I thought I'd post about some of our sunnier moments.

Speaking of sun, we've actually been enjoying the most glorious September.  It's like we've been given a whole extra month of summer!  Last Saturday, however, started off drizzly and cool.  It was actually the best kind of running weather for Caleb's cross country meet.

All three of his previous races have been run under the blazing sun and I think the cooler morning was just one factor in helping Caleb shave a full minute off of his former PR.  He just keeps getting faster and faster.


Jon and I continue to marvel at this cross country world that we didn't even know existed.  This invitational included nearly 1300 runners!  Caleb's race alone had 353 boys.

Caleb came in at 21:15.  I was so excited to see him round the corner for the finish line. (I may or may not have been jumping up and down.)  For a boy who has only been running for four weeks, I think he's doing amazingly well and I continue to feel grateful that he is even participating.  


Once they cross the finish line, the runners are corralled into chutes like cattle.  



The above picture was actually taken after Wednesday's meet.  The mid-week races are usually small match-ups with teams from their league.  Held at the peak of the day's heat, this was one hot race!

And below is Caleb with his recruiter, Sean.  Sean continues to be a tremendous support to Caleb, always cheering him on and enthusiastically celebrating his progress.  Someday I'll tell him what a blessing he has been to us.


After Caleb's race on Saturday, he went home to hold down the fort while the rest of us drove to Portland for the Tour of Gymnastics Champions. (Seattle's show was on Sunday.)

Caleb had a blast having the house to himself (he'd probably just assume stick hot needles in his eyes than go to a gymnastics show) while we thoroughly enjoyed a truly amazing show.


We got to see the stars of the olympics in a delightful show of lights, theatrics, dance and skill.  I think I said "wow" every other minute.


While the special effects lighting added much to the presentation, it did make taking pictures difficult.  Here's one from the rings segment which had the gymnasts hanging from the ceiling:


We also got to see Aly and Gabby do their olympic floor routines--though they were slightly watered down.  Overall, a super fun evening!

We got home late after the two hour drive home and Caleb was fast asleep.  I'd been in contact with him throughout the afternoon and evening and he had a great time being the king of the castle.  He even took himself to Subway for his favorite steak sandwich.  It really was a great day from start to finish.

The forecast calls for lots and lots more sun--both literally and figuratively.

6 comments:

Jen Childers said...

Yay for sunny days! Looks like a fun weekend! It would have been super fun to see the gymnasts. What a treat for your girls and you!

Erin said...

I must admit, the last post did have me really worried! So glad there's been some sun.

Being as I went to so many meets in high school, I'm surprised that this is all so new to you guys. But I guess I'm the only one that was an XC groupie! Love it and I wish I could see a race!

The gymnastics show looks like lots of fun too!

Granny said...

Way to go Caleb! You just keep getting better and better. Fun, fun week end for everyone. Gotta love the sun, both inside and out.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you guys have discovered the world of cross country; it's my favorite! I'm going through a little bit of withdrawals this year, because my brother isn't around to watch anymore. Maybe we will have to come cheer on Caleb!

Chad said...

That a boy CJ!! Good work!

Lucy said...

Isn't Cross-country fun to watch? I love being outdoors and watching the runners come in.

Of course, the gymnastics show looks great.