Tuesday, October 9, 2012

On Being a Substitute Teacher


The interesting thing about being a sub is that I don't have an identity.  "Who are you?" I get asked every day by the other staff members.  (which is just another way of saying, "For whom are you subbing?") I'm Mrs. Hatch, a teacher in my own right, but substitute teachers are just posing as someone else every day.  The interesting thing about being a sub is that I don't have an identity.

The interesting thing about being a sub is that the ducks are never in a row. (No matter how much I wish they were.)  When the plans call for a math test to be administered but no test can be found among the materials left for me, I'm left scrambling.  Even the plans of the most organized of teachers inevitably have a few wandering ducks.  The interesting thing about being a sub is that the ducks are never in a row.

The interesting thing about being a sub is learning to be spontaneous. (Even though it goes against my nature.)  There are twenty minutes to read the entire day's plan before welcoming the students.  Learn how to use all the latest technology, find all of the necessary materials and master the procedures of the classroom.  Then learn over twenty new faces and names and do it quick!  The interesting thing about being a sub is learning to be spontaneous.

The interesting thing about being a sub is that I am an outsider.  The other teachers (most of them) are professional, helpful and friendly, but that doesn't make you one of them.  They have lunch together and make after-school plans.  And no matter how much the students love me, I'm never as adored as their regular teacher.  The interesting thing about being a sub is that I am an outsider.

The interesting thing about being a sub is that I am a jack of all trades (or curriculums), but a master of none.  One day I'm doing the months-of-the-year Macarena and the next I'm teaching imperative vs. declarative sentences.  Today I might teach P.E. in heels (because the primary grades teach their own P.E. and it never fails that I wear heels on their P.E. days) and tomorrow I'll build tin foil boats for a science experiment.  The interesting thing about being a sub is that I am a jack of all trades (or curriculums), but a master of none.

The interesting thing about being a sub is that I get to walk away at the end of the day.  There are no plans to write, no report cards to fill, no parents to conference with or challenging students to worry about.  Oh, and I can take any day off.  The interesting thing about being a sub is that I get to walk away at the end of the day.

*Inspired by "The Important Book" which I read one day as a third grade substitute.

6 comments:

Jen Childers said...

Cute post...you should make it into a book with pictures :) I'm sure all the kids must love it when Mrs. Hatch is teaching!

Granny said...

Ah the memories...past and future. Fun post.

Ben and Carrie said...

Great post. Even if all of that is true, you are probably the most organized, best sub ever, and one heck of a writer. The school is lucky to have you!

jenny said...

Great post! I can only imagine how tough it must be to fill someones shoes especially live up to the expectation of their teacher. Kuddos to you!

Lucy said...

I'm not going to lie, being a substitute teacher would be my version of a day in hell but I'm so glad there are competent, nay, incredible teachers like you who are willing to do it. That school is lucky to have you and I liked your essay:)

Craythorn Family said...

Love this~So true! I was going to sub this year, but our school district is not hiring certified subs, only non-certified (or so I have heard). So much for that plan. I would want you for a sub any day!