Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sleep-Showering


You've heard of sleepwalkers.  How about sleep-showerers? Did you know there was such a thing?  Apparently it runs in the family.

"Mom, did you hear the shower last night?" Caleb asked.

"No.  I didn't hear a thing.  Why?  Did you get in the shower during the night?" I asked, already knowing where this was going.

"Yeah.  I got up, took a shower and got dressed.  When I got downstairs, I saw the clock said 12:00 a.m.," He said.

I smiled at the recollection of my own sleep-showering memories.  "Oh, Caleb.  I used to do the exact same thing when I was in high school."

It's true.  More than once I did it.  And every time, my mom--who'd been awakened by the shower--would come rushing into the bathroom to ask what I was doing.  My mom was the world's lightest sleeper.  She'd usually catch me mid-shower and tell me to go back to bed.

Jon and I slept right through Caleb's midnight showering.  But we did notice his unusually bad bedhead this morning and while we did a tandem taming of his unruly hair, we discovered that he hadn't taken a shower this morning.  We thought it was weird.

Now we know why.

8 comments:

Emily said...

A new one for me! Funny!

Jen Childers said...

I think I did that once in HS too! Weird.... At least he was clean during the night :)

Ben and Carrie said...

So funny. I never sleep showered, but I did sleep dress once and as I was struggling to put on my bra in the night while laying in my bed, my mom found me and asked me what I was doing. I didn't know what I was doing. Chloe sleep walks all the time. She has done some funny stuff. Sleep showering is super funny. Good for Caleb for taking a shower without being told, even if it was midnight! :)

Granny said...

Poor guy. It's so disconcerting for the showerer and the parent, if they happen to wake up.( Please tell me he wasn't in your shower. )

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

I've totally done that!! I remember going downstairs and falling back asleep on the couch and not knowing why i was so tired!! Only to see the clock was at 3am. Too funny.

Chad said...

Doggone it. That can be a crazy thing.

Lucy said...

I have never done that and think it's funny that it's a family trait! You guys are some of the cleanest sleep walkers around!

Craythorn Family said...

Joe did that when he was in high school. He got up at midnight, got dressed, had the keys in his hand and was headed out the door to drive to work when his mom caught the collar of his coat and sent him back to bed. He didn't remember a thing the next morning, but did wonder why he was dressed when he woke up the next morning.