Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Back to School Birthday

A fortieth birthday really should be more exciting. Don't get me wrong, it was a big day at our house, but the attention fell more on the children and less on the birthday boy.  I feel sorry that Jon's big day did not involve more pomp and circumstance even if he always declares his birthday as "just another day." He did get to work from home so that he could see the kids off on their first day of school and so we could go out to a birthday lunch together.

Three kids, three different schools and three different departure times.  I knew it was going to be crazy so I was grateful that Jon was home.

Alyssa was the first to go.  I watched her sweet curls bounce as she walked toward her middle school bus.  And I cried.  Of course.



Alyssa--sixth grade


Caleb was next.  He wasn't quite so concerned with his first-day-of-school fashion as his sisters.  I decided not to worry about it.


Caleb--ninth grade

I felt my throat tightened as soon as we passed the "Auburn Riverside Senior High School" sign.  He opened the car door and a Raven Crew member shouted, "Welcome to Riverside!"  He actually looked quite confident as he walked through the door.  I cried again.  All the way home.  

I dried my eyes in time to turn my attention to my second grader.  Of all of the kids, she was the most excited to go back to school.


Natalie--second grade



Natty and Emma--all is right in the world when these two are together.

Natalie got to have the same teacher she had for first grade.  She was so excited to see her after a long summer away.  Perhaps I was all cried out or maybe it was the familiarity of having her same teacher, but I managed to keep my emotions in check when I hugged my sweet girl goodbye.


It also helped that she has so many church friends in her class.  And they're all sitting so close together!


Emma, Carson, Chloe and Natty

So close, in fact, that Natty can touch Emma's desk from her seat.  Could second grade get any better?


Jon did work, but not too much and we enjoyed a nice lunch together.  He called it "a perfectly relaxing day."  And he did get an unexpected surprise that will involve an exciting outing for the two of us this Saturday.  (You'll just have to check back then to find out what it is.)  It was ever so convenient that the surprise came on his birthday.

The kids had a great first day and we handled the afternoon cross country and gymnastics juggle quite deftly.  We ended it with some candles and cheesecake and a little Happy Birthday singing.




Happy 40th Birthday, Honey!  It's impossible to describe how much I love you!

7 comments:

Granny said...

The kids all look so grown up. I was teary just reading this post, it's really a good thing I wasn't there with you.

Happy Fortieth Jonny Boy! You.really do deserve all the best.

Erin said...

Happy Birthday! Excited to see the secret surprise!

The kids all look great. So grown up. Is Caleb doing cross country this year?

Chad said...

You are killing me! I just sniffed all the way through this post. The kids look so grown-up and I am such a proud Uncle. And Jon definitely deserves all the best. He is the perfect man for Tara!

Lucy said...

Happy Birthday,, Jon! The cheesecake looks nummy! And I'm so glad you had a good day. Can't wait to find out what your weekend adventure is.


i think all your kids look adorable. I can't imagine having a child who actually gets excited about what they wear on the first day of school so Caleb's look is very familiar. Love the t-shirt!!!:)

Jen Childers said...

Happy Birthday to Jon...The kids look like they are ready to tackle another year in school! Very very cute girls :)

Camille said...

Happy 40th Jon!! What a day! I can't believe how big the kids are getting-how did this happen? It's so fun that Emma and Natalie are in the same class- love the pics.

SuburbiaMom said...

It stinks to have 3 different schools and starting/ending times. But, you're amazing and will manage just fine. I love Natalie's outfit! And, happy 40th to your hubby!