Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Finding Greener Grass

Almost immediately after I was fired I began researching other gyms in our area.  I knew Alyssa was quite attached to her coaches and had no desire for a change, but I also knew it would be impossible to remain associated with a business when we had no respect for the owner nor most of the staff.  How could we continue to pour money into the pockets of one who'd treated us so unjustly and unprofessionally?

I talked with as many people as I could--coaches, judges, gym owners and parents.  I got a lot of opinions--widely varied--and most of them agreed that no matter what move we made, we'd be better off than we were with our current gym.

As miserable as I felt with our situation, I struggled with the idea of a change.  I'm a generally content person that is more often than not satisfied with the green-ness of my grass.  And frankly, I sometimes find myself annoyed with others who are dissatisfied with their seemingly lush lawns.  I often said to Jon, "My biggest fear is getting caught up in the idea that the grass is greener somewhere else."

"Well our grass is pretty darn brown right now!" was his reply.

He was right.  And there was very little hope of reviving it.

We waited until Alyssa was away at fifth grade camp to make our first big move.  We visited another gym.  It felt sneaky.  Almost dishonest, even though it wasn't.  We'd weighed the pros and cons from all of our sources but finally decided to visit the one closest to home.  It also produces the best gymnasts in the state.  But they have a reputation for being...intense.

We confessed our snooping to Alyssa and told her that while we would not force this decision on her, we were going to insist on a trial.  The next day, on Lys' day off from gym, I suggested she go watch.  She reluctantly agreed.  It didn't take long for her to notice a skill level, efficiency and sense of team that was not present in her current gym.  On our way out she asked, "So when will I try it?"

I spoke with the team director the following day and shortly thereafter, both girls were doing their first training trial in the new gym.

Jon and I met with the gym owner who more or less had been expecting us.  He told us that he had seen Alyssa do bars at the state meet and had commented to a coach from our previous gym about her talent.  This coach responded with, "Well she may be coming your way very soon because they just fired her mom."  The gym owner was glad we'd come.  And when we left his office 40 minutes later, Jon let out a sigh and said, "I feel so much better already."  On top of that, the girls loved it.  Both were training new skills and feeling welcomed by the other gymnasts.

So you'd think pulling the plug would be easy.  But you'd be wrong.  I truly don't believe Alyssa has ever cried so much in her entire life.  Change is never easy and I know leaving had her feeling exceptionally disloyal to Chen and Tia, the only two coaches who'd ever really invested in her gymnastics.  It was agonizing.  We prayed, we cried, we talked more than is typically comfortable for our stoic Alyssa.  We tossed and turned all night for an entire weekend.  But after day two of her trial at the new gym, Lys was noticing greener grass under her feet.  And she's never looked back.

It's not easy to explain how difficult a trial this has been and the emotional toll it has taken on our family.  I remember numerous people commenting to me that perhaps my firing was a blessing in disguise.  I often wondered how being treated so disrespectfully and unfairly could be a blessing.  But it is true that had it not occurred, I'm quite positive we would've never considered making this change.  And though it may be too early to tell, the grass does seem a whole lot greener for all of us.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I truly hope it's greener and brings great things to your whole family :)

Erin said...

Well, I'll be anxious to hear what these changes have in store for the fall! I'm glad they both like the new gym so far.

Holly said...

Yeah! I've been wanting to hear how things went at the trial practice, but didn't want to add any pressure to such a difficult decision. So glad to hear you've moved on - I don't think you couldn't heal otherwise.

Jen Childers said...

Glad that the girls and you and Jon like the new gym and that things are looking up! Do you think you'll get involved coaching again? So glad that you made the change! Can't wait to see the girls grow in their skills :)

Granny said...

Greener and red and yellow, too. The new colors are really growing on me. I'm glad the girls are adjusting so well. They both looked pretty happy when I watched them working out.

Camille said...

So glad it's all working out for the best!

Ben and Carrie said...

I hate change too. But it sounds like this is going to be a positive change that is going to work out for the best. And now you can leave behind the ugly, brown grass of the past and never have to step on it's prickly blades again!

And I especially expect great things to be happening with the magic that the "thumb" doctor worked on the girls. Ben and I are seriously still thinking about booking appointments soon. Migraines and back pain be gone! :)

Michelle said...

Although I am so happy you've found greener grass, and wounds have begun heeling... it still STINKS. I miss how things used to be. I miss Natty's hugs and toothless grin, and even her noodleness. I miss peeking over my shoulder to watch Alyssa do new tricks. And most of all, I miss YOU!!!