Thursday, January 1, 2009

Thanks!

When we're down-and-out, it's nice to know we can get by with the help (and thoughtfulness) of our family and friends.

Our days have been long. Jon's been looking at all options but with the weather, holidays and bleak state of the economy, employment leads are few and far between. With no job, it's hard to justify spending any money. And with no car large enough to transport our family, outings are even more unlikely.

We don't intend to sound sorry for our ourselves, but rather to show just how grateful we feel to some extra special people who provided us a way to do something fun as a family.

Shortly after Jon received that dreaded news that he'd no longer be a WaMulian, the Johnson family sent us gift cards to Claim Jumper since distance keeps them from personally taking us to dinner. Some friends took care of our transportation problem by loaning us a van that they weren't using for the week.



Jon helped Caleb with his word search while I enjoyed my favorite: California Citrus Salad.

Then Jon did his regular wad-the-straw-wrapper-and-toss-it-into-someone's-mouth game. Here he is showing Natalie how to open her mouth for his target. And he makes it every time.

Our pizzas arrived and I was a little jealous that the kids servings were twice as large as mine. Guess they figured I must have filled up on salad.
Alyssa enjoyed a hearty chicken nugget lunch. Nothing skimpy about Claim Jumper's portions. Except maybe the size of my pizza. :)




Happy kids. Happy parents. Grateful family.

Thank you, Johnsons and Guisingers. You made our day.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Tara, I am so sorry to hear that Jon lost his job. This economy really has been hard on so many people. I will be praying for you during this time. Happy New Year & may it be a great one!

Erin said...

I'm glad you guys were able to enjoy a fun night out! I love your face in the pizza comparison pic!

Emily said...

bwa-ha ha at the pizza! Looked tasty though. Looks like a fun night out :)

Lucy said...

I know this was probably really hard to post, because you don't want the attention but I'm glad you did. And I'm glad you went to Claim Jumpers! Although, that is really unfair about the size of your pizza.

I love that someone lent you their van. I hope that Pilot is fixed soon, though.

jenny said...

I am with Lucy what is up with the portion size of your salad. Glad you guys were able to go out, especially to Claim Jumpers. We too enjoy that place.

Here is to a prosperous lucky 2009. Thinking of you guys!!

Tammy said...

Wow! Maybe we'll have to stop taking our kids to Applebee's where they whine the entire time about their small portions and start going to Claim Jumpers! I loved the look on your face in the pizza picture, Tara. Too funny!

Sara said...

Tara, I had no idea Jon lost his job. That is so frustrating. I'm sure he'll find something soon. Are you hoping to stay where you are or are you looking in Utah too?