Thursday, January 8, 2009

Patched-Up Pilot

I don't remember the last time I was this excited. I can't stop squealing and clapping my hands.

We've been without our family car for two full weeks. Since Jon's little truck can't transport our entire family (not to mention had failing brakes), we've had to do a bit of bumming rides and asking for favors.

It's not easy for us to ask for help. Earlier this week, Jon carried Natalie on his shoulders, in the pouring rain and howling wind (have you heard of our recent flooding?) to pick Caleb up from basketball practice at the school. I had the truck at work and he just couldn't bear the thought of asking anyone for a ride.

I came home from work tonight--dropped off by my friend who'd given me a ride--to see my shiny car sitting in the driveway. It's fully repaired and gleaming from the comprehensive washing it received after being put back together.

And another friend was in the garage with Jon, helping him replace the entirely worn out brakes on his truck. This same friend is the one that accompanied Jon to pick up the Pilot. Good guy.

I was so glad that just as I was arriving home, Caleb was needing to be picked up from his second basketball practice of the day. I simply couldn't wait to take my wheels for a spin. And I don't even like to drive.

It felt so good.

Now I've got to get to work on a whole bunch of thank-yous.

9 comments:

Chad said...

Yippee! We are happy for you and the Pilot!

Granny said...

Yahoo! I'm so glad you have your car back.

Yay, Yay, Yay!!!!!!!!

Erin said...

Yay!!! So happy Pilot is back from the doctor and has recovered well from surgery.

Jen Childers said...

Glad the Pilot is back...looking good, too! It's amazing how much we rely on our vehicles. Here's to better days ahead:)

Sara said...

Tara,
I cannot even imagine being without a car for two whole weeks. My car was in the shop for a full 27 hours this week and I thought I would die. When our mechanic hadn't called at all after 24 hours I called him. Didn't he know I had things to do, errands to run? Am I pitiful or what. I'm so glad you got your car back.

Jenn said...

You guys are total troopers! And you've taught us all to not take our automobiles for granted! Uh...more details on this job please. :)

jenny said...

SUch wonderful news!! Thank goodness for GREAT friends. Glad you have your transportation back!

Tammy said...

I was dying the week we were without our van. I can't even imagine TWO weeks! I'm glad your vehicle's back.

Carrie said...

I'm so happy that your car is back! Nothing is more frustrating than car troubles! So....what's this about work?