Wednesday, October 15, 2008

True Love

When Alyssa was born, my mom made her a simple quilt. She used the blanket, along with many others, but it was a soft baby doll to which she became devoted. Natalie came along four years later and inherited Alyssa's collection of baby blankets and for whatever reason, took a particular liking the quilt my mom had made.

Natalie soothed herself to sleep by rubbing the corners between her thumb and middle finger. There is a specific method to her corner-rubbing which she has tried to explain to me on more than one occasion. I can't seem to master the exact techique. But it has worked for her.

She rubbed the corners until they no longer existed. Once the corners disinegrated, the threads on the edges started to give way. Her one true love is now being held together by two small stitches, its innards exposed. But, as they say, love is blind.

She drags it, trailing behind her, everywhere she goes...





Looking through one of the used-to-be corners.

Peeking past the few remaining stitches.



We've attempted to convince Natalie that the blankie has reached the end of its life. But she is no where near ready to part with it and has placed all her faith in our talented, seamstress neighbor. She believes her love can be resuscitated.

Who am I to deny her that hope?

10 comments:

Erin said...

Unfortunately for me, Anna is a combination between the two and requires her dolly AND her blankie wherever she goes! You should have seen the meltdown when I tried to pry them out of her hands at the park one day!

Hope Natty's blankie can be rescued!

Jackie said...

None of my kids ever got attached to a blanket, but I think it's really cute!

Nothing is wrong with Sienna's head. She's just going through a bandaid stage and the other day she just HAD to have one on her head.

Holly said...

Oh my, that looks like quite the job, glad you have someone with skills to help you out.

Granny said...

Once again, you've got me laughing out loud. If Camille can't save "Pink" I am more than willing to give it a try.

(It looks even worse than the last time I saw it.)

Jen Childers said...

Owen's blanket was totally wearing thin and he had a thing for the corners as well. I had my mom cut off all the torn edges and reinforce it this last summer. Hopefully it will continue to last! That blanket sure looks like it has had some serious lovin'!

Camille said...

Oh... My... Word! It's getting worse by the day. You'd better have her bring it to me soon. I'm hoping to work on something for my sister-in-law tomorrow afternoon so the machine will be out. That is true love.

Those are some great pictures! :)

Sara said...

Now that is one well-loved blankie. Each of my kids has a blankie that they just love. Anytime Andrew gets hurt or upset he cries "blankie" and runs to find it. Whatever brings the kid comfort:)

jenny said...

ALL of my kids had blankets and I finally convinced Luke that I would "retire" that one to a special place and made him a more sturdy one to love. Those keep sakes are the best kind.

Stephanie said...

It's been awhile since I have seen the blanket. It is bigger now that it is seperated and with a few more holes. I will be curious to see how it is repaired.

Jenn said...

Yes, that blankie needs some tender loving reinforced stitching! Come on Camille! Save the blankie. Don't forget to post before and afters...