Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Curse

We learned a long time ago that if an extended warranty is offered with any electronic device, it's in our best interest to spend a few extra dollars for the added protection.

Our curse on all things electronic started early in our marriage and remains with us still. Some gadgets have fallen victim to our own negligence, others to mischievous children's hands, and many others have been struck with plain old bad luck.

There was our first camcorder, which was doused by Shamu at SeaWorld. I'm still bitter towards that whale.

There was the video IPod that Natalie placed in the toilet, the camera dropped by two little girls, the other camera and cell phone that suffered cracked LCD screens, and the other cell phone that awoke in a puddle of rain on a camping trip.

Jon's prized flat screen TV died, inexplicably and very suddenly, just months after its purchase. Our DVR box suffered a similar fate. Our car stereo stopped working properly soon after the car warranty expired but thankfully Honda applied a goodwill warranty, sparing us a large replacement cost.

Kitchen Aid, printers, telephones, external hard drive...I could go on and on.

We've had many good reasons to post and I've got some killer pictures of Jon that I'm just itching to get up but we've been smitten by the curse yet again. This time it's the laptop. I'm currently using the loaner we were given (thank goodness for that extended warranty that we purchased) while our laptop was sent in for repair or inspection or something. We won't get it back for 6-8 weeks!

So as soon as I get the image resizer installed on the loaner laptop, I'll get my intended posts up. And in the meantime, I'll be hoping and praying that the weird humming currently being made by the Wii will pass uneventfully.

7 comments:

Chad said...

Good Grief! I think you guys are the Bermuda Triangle for electronics. LOL. I hope the luck changes. Take Care!

Amy Jones said...

Seriously cracking up. Your bad luck might actually exceed the terrors of the Bermuda Triangle...wow. Good luck with the Wii. And the loaner laptop. :)

Granny said...

I think you live in the "Black Hole of Electronics." Goodness, I sure hope you have reached the end of your "curse."

Erin said...

Since I own the very same laptop, I am thoroughly convinced of the curse!

Jen Childers said...

Yikes! Usually those extended warranties are just a gimmick to get us to spend more money. Glad that someone is getting some use out of them. Sorry about the laptop and looking forward to the next post:)

Lucy said...

That is some serious bad luck. I remember some of those stories - particularly the ipod into the toilet, but I had no idea about most of the rest. You guys are electronically doomed!

Good luck fixing the lap top and I'm crossing my fingers for your wii.

P.S. I want to see those pictures of Jon too!

Emily said...

Man- that is some bad luck!! Hopefully we get to see some pics soon!