Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Locker Incident

Just when I thought I’d seen and heard it all, the teacher called.

It was the Friday of the first full week of school and Natalie and I were just ordering lunch at the mall food court when my cell phone rang. It’s always disconcerting to have the teacher call but getting that call in the middle of the day is that much more worrisome. Caleb’s teacher politely asked if I had a minute to talk. The timing was certainly not perfect but these phone calls take precedence, so I raised an excuse-me-for-a-moment finger to the woman waiting behind the pizza counter, then walked away to hear the news of the day.

I had given Caleb some lunch money that morning. He set the money on his bathroom counter while he brushed his teeth, then he headed out the door leaving the five-dollar bill behind. I noticed the money later in the morning but for whatever reason, it didn’t occur to me that it was Caleb’s lunch money. He had, after all, always been quite careful with his money so it was easy to assume the cash came from one of the girls’ frequently played-with piggy banks.

Evidently, when lunch time arrived and Caleb couldn’t find his money, he had what his teacher deemed a “total meltdown.” He was so upset at having lost his money that he curled himself in a ball and refused to speak to anyone. Though his teacher repeatedly tried to assure him that he could get lunch on loan, he maintained that he would not eat and could not join the class in the lunch line. The exact details and order of what followed are not clear to me (the teacher and Caleb have slightly different versions), but what I do know is that Caleb felt the need to go somewhere out of public view. He was quietly—no tears—upset but did not want anyone to look at his face for fear they’d read the distress all over his expression.

I suppose I understand that part. People stare. Kids stare harder. His classmates were probably all aware of the situation and gawking at the events as they unfolded. What I don’t understand is the location to which we chose to escape. He somehow managed to contort his lanky legs up behind his ears, squeezed himself into his locker (with a backpack also in it) and closed the door.

We took this picture at Open House. How in the world did he fit himself in there?

Another student alerted the teacher and she went immediately to get him out. The lockers are marked with each student’s number and because it was so early in the year, the teacher didn’t yet know which number belonged to Caleb and therefore didn’t know which locker he was in. They quickly figured it out and opened the door to find what Caleb’s teacher described as “the most scared little mouse anyone had ever seen.” He was eventually coaxed from his confinement, did eat lunch and was soon running to the playground for recess. I think the whole incident, though disturbing, was fairly short-lived and Caleb rebounded from it very quickly.

Over the last six months or so, Caleb has seemed to be more unstable emotionally. This is very typical for a pre-teen with his disabilities, but it has presented us with new challenges that we have not yet faced. He is more easily upset and more difficult to calm. It seems his anxiety has been sent into overdrive. He’s beginning to develop a greater sense of self-awareness but remains painfully unaware of socially acceptable ways of dealing with his unique discomforts and disappointments. When I suggested that, for future reference, he go to a bathroom stall if he needed to be alone, he resisted stating that other students might wonder why he was taking so long. I’m baffled that he would be concerned with what others might think about an extended bathroom visit, but not be cognizant about the appearance of a 10-year-old boy bending himself into a small locker in the middle of the hallway.

We consulted his doctor about some of his recent emotional disturbances even before this locker incident. He advised getting set up with a counselor with the possibility of prescribing anti-anxiety medication if symptoms worsen. We’ve had difficulty finding a therapist that is suited to our situation and also covered by our insurance and open to new patients. I think I did, just today, find a good match but she has a six month waiting list. This is a pivotal year for Caleb as he prepares to transition to middle school and we’re doing our best to give him all the help he needs.

Caleb’s teacher, in her unique, overly dramatic way, remarked to me that her heart hurt so greatly from the image of seeing Caleb crunched into his locker, that she needed a glass of wine upon returning home from school. I admit to wishing that I too could indulge in such an escape from an aching heart. But alas, I believe that strong drinks are not for the belly, so we therefore choose to just stay on our knees a little bit longer. We appreciate all the prayers offered in Caleb’s behalf.

I would be remiss if I did not share the happy ending to this story. As we sat around the dinner table on the Sunday following the locker event, Caleb very matter-of-factly stated, “Well, tomorrow’s a school day.” I was utterly shocked by the slight bit of enthusiasm in his voice and before I could clarify what his tone was implying, he added, “I think I’m starting to feel like school is fun.”

That is when I knew that the locker incident did not cause lasting distress. It was already a distant memory and he was focused on what was good about his new class. And he also now had the tools to know how to appropriately handle similar situations.

11 comments:

Lucy said...

Where's the wine?!? Oh, sweet Caleb. I know I don't view things the same as Caleb, but I know the feeling of wanting to hide in a locker. I know it must be exhausting to cover all your bases as a defense against these unforeseen episodes, but I think you, Jon, and his teachers do a remarkable job. I love the happy ending and am so glad everyone continues to do their best to support Caleb.

Granny said...

Poor little guy! I was kind of surprised to hear he had been so emotional lately. Dad and I were just saying we thought he seemed a ton calmer since school started.

If I could fit, I would join him in the locker on a daily basis. I'm glad he rebounded so quickly, that's the part I have the most trouble with...keep replaying everything in my head and struggle to move on.

We'll be spending a little more knee time in his behalf.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he fit inside those tiny lockers... I'm so glad to hear that the incident hasn't stayed with him and that he's enjoying school.

Erin said...

I can remember at least three specific moments in middle school when I would have given anything to be able to fit into my locker and hide for the rest of the day.

I'm glad Caleb is seeing the fun side of school. Hopefully this will continue for a long, long time.

P.S. - I think he just might have a career as a contortionist! That locker is less than half his size!

Amy Jones said...

I am SO glad that he is still enthusiastic about school. As I was reading I kept thinking, "Oh no...he's going to hate it now!" Thank heavens (literally) that he's able to move on. I, myself, am not so good at that.

Thinking about you!

Chad said...

Well, I must confess that my heart hurt for him while reading about it. I am glad for a quick resolution and happy ending as well. Caleb is a an awesome young man with awesome parents! With those factors and the help of the Lord he will do just fine, wait he will be GREAT! Love you guys!

Jen Childers said...

I can't believe Caleb fit in that little locker. I'm glad you posted about this and are letting us share in your journey with Caleb. I'm glad it didn't ruin school and that he was able to focus on the good stuff. You and Jon are great parents and Caleb is one special kid!

The Munkies said...

at least it took him that long before he needs meds...hayden couldn't make it past kindergarten. ahh the life of these kiddo's i think hayden would love a drink of wine some days.

jenny said...

Oh, Tara my heart goes out to your sweet family and Caleb. I can't even imagine how hard it would be for him and you guys. I was just talking to a good friend about anxiety disorders (she is currently suffering from one) and how it's an everyday battle to get through the day sometimes.

I am happy to hear that he has forgotten the incident and moved on. I hope you are able to get some much wanted answers. big hugs!!

Jenn said...

Your post sure hit close to home Tara. Caleb is a great kid and I'm so happy to hear that he bounced back so quickly. It's not so easy for us moms...I almost said parents but Mike always seems to bounce back from Aaron's setbacks much quicker than myself. I loved your comment about choosing to stay on your knees a little longer.

Jackie said...

It is great how fast kids get over things. Good and bad. I'm glad Caleb wasn't too tramatized. I was laughing so hard when you wrote about what his teacher's reaction was. I could totally picture her saying that.