Sunday, September 30, 2007

No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed!

Just yesterday Natalie stood on the footboard and announced, "Look at me, I'm a monkey" as she dove onto the bed. I've warned her many times and even taught her the familiar song about monkeys on a bed. Well today, she fell off and bonked her head.

We had just come home from church, the girls finished a quick lunch and headed up to their room to listen to their High School Musical 2 CD. Moments later I heard Natalie's "hurt" cry followed closely by Alyssa screaming, "Mommy, come right now!"

I ran upstairs and found Natalie standing there with blood streaming down her face. I knew in an instant that this was a bad wound and could tell that it came from the footboard of the bed. I don't handle bloody wounds well and while I couldn't bring myself to get a close look, a brief glance was all that was needed to know that medical attention was necessary. Jon was still at church but, thankfully, my Sister-in-law Maureen was here so I grabbed a paper towel from under the bathroom sink, applied pressure and called for her. I frantically began shouting out my needs; a binkie, ice, a blanket, a phone call to Jon. In a matter of minutes, the big kids were pawned off on Camille and Maureen was driving us to the ER. I tried several times to reach Jon and we eventually decided to just drive by the church on the way to the hospital. He was able to cancel his remaining appointments and accompany us to the hospital.

The wound was a deep, gaping wound and the bone visible. Fortunately, we were able to get in quickly and Natalie did amazingly well. She was given a topical anesthetic before they injected the Lidocaine. The topical did a pretty good job numbing the injury and she waited peacefully. The injection was the most difficult part.

Here is her head before being stitched.

I hate seeing my kids suffer!

Taking pictures of Dad helped pass the time.

When it came time for the stitching, Natalie was more brave than any of us! Dad nearly passed out, went white and clammy, and had to sit. I couldn't watch either so I just held her hands and talked to her while keeping my head turned. I only managed a few brief glances. The doctor was patient with her queasy parents but mumbled, "I may need to get someone in here to help me."

He didn't need help, he had Natty for a patient! She just carefully watched the c-shaped needle go round and round and hardly flinched. The doctor spoke quietly to her as he sewed eight stitches into her forehead.

I am really struggling with the reality that my beautiful, brown-eyed baby is going to have a big scar in such a visible location. I am grateful that she is o.k. and I hope it has taught all of the monkeys living in this house that there is a reason mom frequently reminds them not to jump on the bed!

9 comments:

Holly said...

We are so sorry to hear about poor Natalie - the Hatch family has had more than their fair share of ER visits... no fun. We hope she heals quickly.

Chad said...

Poor Natty! We love our baby and hope she is totally healed with minimal scar soon.

Granny said...

I'm glad Natty was so brave. She's just had too many "owies" in her three short years!

The stitching looks good though, I think it will probably heal pretty nicely.

Erin said...

What a brave little trooper Natty is. We need to keep that child away from anything taller than she is.

I agree with mom, I think it will heal better than you think.

Jen Childers said...

Oh my gosh...I'm so sorry! Poor little Natalie. You'll just have to go for the bangs look. What a brave little girl. You guys sure have had your share of drama with that little one. I surely wasn't expecting a pic of Natalie in the hospital when I clicked on the link to check if you had posted anything over the weekend. I did have to chuckle as you described Jon going white and clammy. I'm glad she did o.k. Here's to a better week!

Jackie said...

I'm glad that she's doing okay and I think this experience will be more traumatic for mom than for Natalie. She'll be beautiful even if she does have a little scar!

Calamity Jane said...

Tara, Bruce did the same thing on the same spot on his head last year, 4 or 5 stiches, and his scar is now barely visable. I am amazed, because I could see the bone too. Yuck, the dr had to wrap him in a blanket because he wasn't quite as calm. I am so sorry it had to happen because that is sooooo traumatic. I was crying more than he was. You need to look at Brucies head though, it might make you feel better, kids heal fast.

jenny said...

Ouch! If it makes you have any more comfort, I bet it won't scar. I only say that because I have had two boys do that exact same thing. Just put lots of neosporin on it. I am glad it wasn't more serious.

For the record any sight of blood makes me ill--Doug always laughs at me (so mean)!

p.s. Did you guys get the Huangs annoucement? I had no idea she was even pregnant. Do you have their phone number?? Email me :)

Lucy said...

Maureen told me about this, but the pictures make it even more dramatic! What a gash! I bet you were all traumatized. Poor Jon...I remember seeing him get all white and clammy. You two should not be around blood!