Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Cougar Cousins

We were so excited to have Jen, Christopher and their family come for the Labor Day weekend. Caleb considers time with cousins a special treat and suggested making some welcome signs to greet them at the door. I offered my stamps for the project, the perfectionist in me had a difficult time not intervening, but I resisted the urge and let his efforts go unassisted. He was proud of the finished product!


They arrived at bedtime on Friday. The kids played for a short time and then settled down for the night.

Saturday morning came earlier than usual. The boys were up and at 'em at 6:30! What's more exciting than the first Cougar game of the year? Being able to watch it with cousins. The Childers came prepared, knowing that game days at our house mean that we don our Cougar blue. I was so impressed that every member of their family had appropriate game-day clothes. Caleb referred to the group as Cougar Cousins. Soon after breakfast, Jon posted our "Y" flag as the Cougar faithful watched. Let football season begin!

We decided to walk the kids to McDonalds for lunch before the start of the game. They formed a single file line and Caleb led the cheers all along the half-mile journey. I'm sure we were quite the spectacle. I, a true blue, die-hard fan, was even growing a bit embarassed by the boisterous parade of cougar cousins.

We stopped at the park on the way home and Caleb led a few more cheers atop this tower.


Cute Cougar cousins. Natalie, Alyssa, Caleb, Owen, Ansel and Jonas.

The Cougars did not disappoint in their season opener. There's just no better way to spend a Saturday. After the victory, I picked up a couple of babysitters and we enjoyed a fabulous, child-free dinner at Cheesecake Factory. What a great day!

The kids treated us to play on Sunday evening. It was something about some knights, a king and queen, (hard for us to figure out the story since it was virtually dialogue-free) and they had fun making swords for their props. We ended the day with a High School Musical movie night, which included a demo of Caleb's dance moves!

Curtain call!


Monday brought more fun with Mini golf, batting cages and pizza. We're so glad they could come to visit, it was a great way to officially end the summer. School starts tomorrow!

10 comments:

Camille said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I wish I could have seen your family parading up Lakeland Hills Way. How funny!

Granny said...

What a great weekend! I love the BYU cheer squad, especially love the picture of the "flag ceremony" and the look on Caleb's face.

Priceless!

Emily said...

Sounds like such a fun weekend! We missed out!

Jen Childers said...

It was a super great weekend! Thanks again for having us. The kids are still talking about how much fun they had with their cousins. Good luck starting school...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY JON:)

Bridget said...

What in the world!?! Caleb in a Longhorns jersey? I don't even let my children wear them and their grandpa works for UT basketball. :)

Are you as excited as I am over the start of the College football season? Go Huskers! :) We are going to several games this season, including the NU/Texas game in Austin.

How is school going?

jenny said...

Cute cougar attire. I would expend nothing less from Hatch kids. Glad you had fun with the cousins!

Erin said...

I LOVE it! Having been in many a Cougar parade myself, I somehow don't think the Cougar Cousin cheer squad would have fazed me.

Glad to see you had such a good time...can't wait to visit!

Holly said...

What a perfect ending to summer - sure sounds like you all had a great time.

Jackie said...

What a fun weekend with cousins! It's great that you are all BYU fans. On my side of the family we are the only ones that likes BYU.

hannah said...

I just had to leave a comment! I LOVE the picture with all the kids in BYU gear! Too cute!