Thursday, September 6, 2007

School Days

I admit to getting a little emotional as I left Caleb in his fourth grade class. Starting a new school year can be challenging for him but he seemed more calm and confident when he entered the room yesterday morning. He didn't even want me to walk him to school, insisting he knew where to go and what to do.




Caleb came home with a note from his teacher telling us that he had an excellent first day. I'm so proud of him and the hurdles he's overcome in his young life. He continues to grow and find ways to be successful in environments that are challenging for him.

We celebrated the first day of school and Jon's birthday with dinner at Red Robin and a vanilla bean cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory!


Alyssa's first day was today. She had an orientation for first graders yesterday and was so anxious to go for a full day. Our house is now a lot quieter with the two big kids gone all day!

Here is Caleb walking with his friend Harrison.

My grown-up first grader!


Alyssa and Linsey walked to and from school today. Both of the kids are anxious to walk without me following them. I'll follow for a few more days and then let them go. I love the excitement of a new school year, to see them grow up, but I also can't help the little lump in my throat as these years pass so quickly.

11 comments:

Granny said...

I find the difference in perspective regarding the first day of school to be so interesting. The kids look so cute, and so excited to being setting out on a new adventure.
Seeing the pictures definitely made me misty eyed.

My personal perspective, on the other hand, is quite different. Facing 24 Kindergarteners coming to school for the first time...well, let's just say, massive anxiety on everyone's part, especially mine!!!!!!!!!!!
(Tears of a whole different kind.)

Way to go Caleb and Alyssa! I'm glad you are off to a great start.

Lucy said...

I love all of the pictures. They are all so adorable and look excited to go to school. I know what you mean though...it goes fast. I can't believe Sammy will be in school next year. Makes me want to cuddle with him all day, every day this next year.

I'm so proud of Caleb! I love how you put things,"He continues to grow and find ways to be successful in environments that are challenging for him." You guys are great parents to encourage him and find those successes! And I know what an advocate you are in his class. No doubt, this will be a great year for him.

Erin said...

They both look so cute...I can't believe they are in fourth and first grades! That backpack looks HUGE on Alyssa!

So glad they both had great first days!

Jackie said...

Glad to hear that Caleb had a great first day. I know how anxious you have been but I am sure he will have a great year!
The kids look so cute and excited.

What is Natalie going to do all day without her brother and sister!

Jackie said...

Glad to hear that Caleb had a great first day. I know how anxious you have been but I am sure he will have a great year!
The kids look so cute and excited.

What is Natalie going to do all day without her brother and sister!

Jen Childers said...

It is a weird feeling to watch your kids get older and realize that you are that "starting to look older" mom in the picture with them. Looks like a successful 1st day...and what a yummy cheescake to celbrate Jon's birthday!

jenny said...

Isn't it amazing how having 2 children gone makes the house so quiet?

What a relief that Caleb has a good teacher and seems to be adapting well! It seems like yesterday Caleb was a baby. Crazy.

I can't wait for my kids to be able to walk to school...there is no way I would do it here.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the pictures. I'm glad you live where the kids can walk to and from school.

Chad said...

I can't believe how big my babies are getting! I am such a proud Uncle. I love going to school everyday too! We are so glad to hear all about your adventures. Caleb is awesome and we are so glad he started well. And Alyssa is so darn grown-up and beautiful! Nattie, it won't be long sis!

Jenn said...

I can totally relate to your lump in the throat! Fourth grade just seems so grown up! I'm just in shock that Caleb is there! I still remember holding him as a tiny new baby in your little townhouse in Provo. Where has the time gone?

Heather said...

Isnt the first day of school bittersweet? It always is for me. i love to see my kids learn and grow and at the same time it tugs at my heart how little time we really do have with them in our homes.