Wednesday, September 5, 2007

35 and Alive!

Jon is a big tease and mercilessly taunts us, particularly in those areas in which he can evoke the strongest reactions.

Sam's Club is selling a very large, inflatable haunted house which is extremely frightening to Natalie. As soon as she expressed her fear, Jon began teasing her, attempting multiple times to drive the cart into the house. As a result, she has developed an intense fear of Sam's Club. He asks her every day if she wants to go to Sam's just to hear her adamantly declare that she is scared of the house. The other day I needed to go for groceries and she protested going in, was shaking and clutching her arms into her chest. I used the free cookies as a bribe to get her in the store and she kept her eyes closed as she nibbled it. Thanks a lot, Dad, it will take some time to overcome this one!

My greatest fear has always been that something would happen to Jon, that I'd be a young widow. Jon knows this and has been using it to torment me for the past 11 years. He began stating that he was going to die at age 34. Every birthday and often in between he would remind me of how much time he had left. He enjoyed the thrill of making me cringe each time he mentioned the countdown. Mean, don't you think?

The joke stops here. Today he is 35 and still alive! I admit to being relieved that he's lost the power with this particular play. I'm sure he'll find a replacement to satisfy his need to tease, but for now, I'll just enjoy that he is alive and well!

Happy 35th Birthday, Baby! We love you!!!

12 comments:

Chad said...

May I be the first to welcome the good bishop to the 35 Club! Wear it in good health old man!

jenny said...

We just saw the big haunted house on Saturday. Who in the world would spend $200 on their lawn? We use the free bribe cookies as well.

Jon is a crackup and I am laughing about Sam's Club. We miss you guys!

Hope he has a super birthday you OLD man ;)

DOug and Jenny

Lucy said...

Happy Birthday big brother! I hope you have a great day and that you don't die soon:)

I love you!

Lucy

Jen Childers said...

Happy Birthday Jon! I don't know where he gets his sense of teasing...none of the rest of us are teasers:) That really is mean about Natalie....Poor little thing! Have a great day:)

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Jon!

Keep up the teasing!

Isaac said...

Happy Birthday Jon, I wish I new earlier and could have wished you a happy birthday when I saw you at school. I hope you had a great one.
Kristen p.s. Isaac loves to tease also. He does it so much I never know when to believe him.

Camille said...

Happy Birthday Jon! We hope your day was great!

Stephanie said...

Hope you had a great Birthday! Hear you are going to start the first guys birthday celebration. I hear you have a long list;)

Granny said...

Happy Birthday Jon! You're a great Husband and Dad, in spite of the teasing.

Emily said...

Sounds like his father's son...Hope you had a great birthday, Jon. You are my favorite brother. :)

Heather said...

That is too funny! I cant wait to hear what he comes up with next...can it really get any worse than that? Loved the Mariner pictures! But, bring on football season! Yipee!

Jackie said...

Hope you had a great birthday Jon. You can now join the half way to 40 club with Brian and I. Brian doesn't understand why that is so stressful for me.