Monday, October 1, 2007

One For Team Caleb

I remember hearing a presentation about the WASL in a PTA meeting a few years ago. I recall the feelings of worry and dread even though it would still be a couple of years before Caleb would have to take the test. It was obvious to me that this assessment would be very challenging for my boy. He has language processing disabilities and struggles with making inferences or drawing conclusions. This is not a standard multiple choice test.

The success of Caleb's education is dependent upon a team of people working together in his behalf. The team consists of Caleb, his classroom teacher, his speech therapist and me. We were blessed last year with an amazing, young teacher who worked beautifully with Caleb and all the other team members. Together, we did all we could to prepare him to be successful on the WASL, which he took last spring.

His scores arrived by mail last Friday. My hands shook and my hearted pounded as I tore into the envelope.

"He passed," I mumbled to myself. "He passed," I said a little louder. "Jon, he passed!" I couldn't stop the tears. "He passed. He passed!"

Here's the proof. He had to take the reading and math in third grade. He'll have to add the writing section this year.

I needed a celebration and I needed to celebrate with the only person who truly understood the magnitude of the victory, one who could fully understand my joy and relief. So, I put together a little "Tickled Pink" treat and Caleb and I went in this morning to pay a visit to his one-of-a-kind third grade teacher.

Mrs. Knapp already knew that Caleb had passed and expressed to me that she had been dying to call me, had begged for permission, but was told she had to wait until October 1st. She told me that if I had not come in this morning, she would've called. We shared our mutual feelings of accomplishment and pride and again my eyes were teary. We presented her with her well-deserved, though inadequate, token of gratitude and that small moment of celebration made my day.

This is Caleb holding his congratulatory letter from the governor.

I'm so proud of Caleb. He worked hard and though we have to face this beast again this year and many more years to come, he has one win under his belt. I feel that his success is an answer to our endless prayers. We are so grateful for the outstanding professionals who have assisted us in our journey.

Thank you, to any of you who have offered prayers for our dear son, you're part of our team, too. And it just feels so good when your team wins!

12 comments:

Granny said...

Caleb I am soooooooooo proud of you. I know how hard you worked to get ready for the WASL, and I know how hard it is to pass that test!

Yeah for Team Caleb!

Just like Mommy, I am having a bit of difficulty controlling my tears of joy.

Congratulations to a great little guy!

jenny said...

Congrats to Caleb! That is such great news-I am thrilled for your entire family!!

Jen Childers said...

I'm with you on the tears thing....Way to go! Caleb is truly blessed to have you as him mom. He should be so proud of himself for all that hard work, and you, too! I'm so glad you had a great teacher that supported your and Caleb's needs. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Lucy said...

Tara, this is awesome. I love how you work with his teacher and really make it a team effort. Great for Caleb. Great job to all of you.

Holly said...

I got tears in my eyes just reading about it... congrats to Caleb and to his fabulous Mom who deserves so much credit!

Chad said...

Way to go Caleb! My eyes are leaky too! Mini me is awesome! We are so proud of you CJ! Keep up the good work! We are looking forward to more great reports!

Calamity Jane said...

There is a big cheer coming from the Johnson house! Way to go Caleb!

Jackie said...

Congratulations Caleb! That is a great accomplishment. It is so wonderful when we get good teachers that really understand and can help our kids out.tewfamily@msn.com

Stephanie said...

Yea Caleb! What a hard worker! Caleb is such a great kid, with a super mom!

Bridget said...

Way to go Caleb!!!! I have tears in my eyes and I don't even know the kid. :)


How wonderful of you to think of the teacher. Being a former teacher I can't begin to tell you how much that must of meant to her.

Way to go Mom! You deserve much of the credit as well. Congrats!

Jenn said...

WAY TO GO CALEB! YOU'RE FANTASTIC!

mom and dad said...

"Yeah for Caleb"!! What great news! I'm so happy for you and congratulate you and your Mom and teacher. What a great BYU Cougar kid! I was so happy that I cried---oh, well, just like a girl, uh Caleb? Tell your parents that you deserve a trip to see the BYU cougars play sometime soon! We love all of you and are glad to have seen your pictures and heard the news. love to all, Aunt Shauna