Saturday, October 27, 2007

Ghostly Gala

A little cutting and shredding did the trick. Add a little make-up and the disliked sheets that I had been suckered into buying at the fair last month became the perfect ghostly costumes for our annual Halloween party.

When I asked Jon for suggestions as to what treat we should take, he had a sudden recollection and longing for cupcakes his mom used to make with some sort of creamy filling. I tried to recreate the cupcakes of his memory by making mini devil's food cakes injected with a creamy center and frosted with a cream cheese frosting.

It's always fun to see our friends in costume. The Roenfeldts, our hosts, always come up with something perfectly suited for the occasion. They create a true haunted house with fog machines, strobe lights, flying ghosts and even a crazed chain-saw man to jump out of the bushes just as you're approaching the door.

Our hosts, Mr. and Mrs. Grim Reaper

The Summers won the costume prize with their cute Potato Head creations.

Jackie wore her Smarty pants and brought her Dum Dum along. Jon thought she should've won the contest. Her's was his favorite...

...he couldn't stop eating it!

Several couples went with the Asian theme, (we were even treated to a short Sumo match) there was Wolf Man and his lady vampire and the McInelly's came as a pair of blue jeans.



The power tool pumpkin carving contest was lots of noisy, messy fun. Jon used a jig saw but others used drills and chainsaws. Jon even remembered to bring safety goggles. Good job, Honey!




We played games and ate lots of great goodies. It was a good time for all!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

This looks like a great time. All the costumes are fabulous, but your ghosts are downright scary! (in a good kind of supposed to be scary on Halloween way.) A couple of my kids would have freaked if we had left the house like that.

I'm totally going to steal the power tool pumpkin idea for our Halloween party.

Granny said...

What a fun party!

Your costumes turned out great.

Erin said...

Wow! If I didn't know better, I wouldn't know who you guys were in those costumes!

Looks like a great party, although being a "hating all things haunted" kind of girl, I'm not too sure I would have enjoyed that haunted house.

Chad said...

Wow. Who knew Tara could be goulish. Looks like some fun times.

Lucy said...

You guys have some serious Halloween Parties! You and Jon looked great and I remember those cupcakes! They were good. Especially when they were frozen. Then they were like zingers or ding-dongs. Yummy.

I love the power tool pumpkin carving idea. Maybe I should embrace this holiday a little more. You make it look like fun.

Jen Childers said...

You and your friends all look great! What a fun looking party. I too liked the power tool pumpkin carving. Sounds great! THose are great pictures.

jenny said...

What a fun party had by all. Those costumes turned out so great and VERY scary :)

Emily said...

How fun! Great costumes and I'm totally laughing at the power tool contest.

Calamity Jane said...

I am so sad we always miss this, I can't stand that our anniversary comes the same weekend as the party. I was all over it when we thought it was saturday...sad. You guys looked great. Most creative.

Jackie said...

I'm glad my costume made John so happy. We still have more smarties if you want them John.

Bridget said...

Wow!! You have some very creative friends.

Your cruise looked fabuous! It was fun to catch up with you and your family.