Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sail Away!

Last Friday, Jon rode the train into Seattle just as he does on every work day. He put in a few solid hours at the office but instead of riding the train home, he met me on the waterfront. More specifically, the cruise ship terminal. We boarded the Mercury under clear blue skies with the sun in our eyes. We booked this cruise almost a year ago and were anxious to sail away!


After seeing our stateroom, we went directly to the buffet for a late lunch. We ate on the deck while gazing at the skyline. As we looked to Jon's building, right in the middle of the skyline, we already felt worlds away from the day-to-day grind.

We participated in a mandatory emergency drill before setting sail for Vancouver, B.C. Good thing we didn't have to wear those lifejackets the entire time!

The Bon Voyage Sail-Away Party was the first scheduled event. We were ready to get the party started so we hopped on the dance floor to do a little Electric Slide and Hot, Hot, Hot dance. I thought the entertainment on this boat was great. There were many live bands including everything from the party band to the string quartet and jazz band. There was live music all throughout the boat.

We enjoyed a new show each night in the theater. We saw a comedian, Celebrity singers and dancers show and a juggler. After each nightly show, we made our way to the Manhattan Restaurant, the ship's dining room. I never used every piece of silverware but I certainly made use of many plates! What a treat for a food-lover like me.





The dances were a lot of fun. We got pretty involved at the Sock Hop, winning a drink for our side of the room with our crazy antics. How ironic that we, the only non-drinkers in the room, won the contest and that the prize was an alcoholic drink! We didn't partake, of course, but we just had to get a picture with it.


We were awakened very early Saturday morning as the Mercury docked in Vancouver. Apparently our stateroom was located right next to the engines and docking a vessel of such size is not a smooth process. Jon likened it to our bed being placed on a giant, out-of-balance washing machine. We were shaken and tossed while the thunderous roar rang in our ears. We were privelged to experience this every time the boat docked, which happened to be every morning around 6 am. Thankfully, that was the only negative of the trip and the fun far outweighed the annoyance of the daily "earthquake."

Tickets on the Big Bus proved the perfect way to see Vancouver. We rode around town and were able to get on and off at various places of interest. One stop was to visit the Roots store. As we got closer, I expressed a sudden craving for a caramel apple, the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory covered-in-nuts-and-chocolate kind. It was my subconcious memory talking to me. Stephanie reminded me that when we had visited that very Roots store five years ago, we shared such an apple. I didn't remember that until she reminded me but you better believe I indulged my craving when we arrived at Roots and indeed found the apple right next door. There was no sharing this time, I gobbled every last slice!




Our next stop was Nanaimo, B.C. It was a quaint town which the men didn't find too entertaining. They decided to go back to the boat to go to the cinema and play shuffleboard. We girls did some shopping and then opted for high tea (hot chocolate) to enjoy a scone and Nanaimo bar.



The ship's library was the perfect place for us to play cards. Ping pong was also a fun pastime.


The daily "earthquake" roused us Monday morning and we made our way to the dining room for breakfast. We again looked toward Jon's building in the skyline, only this time with dread. The drizzle from thick dark clouds perfectly matched our moods. It was time to head back to reality.

Within a couple of hours, Jon was back to work at the office and I was making my way home. I suddenly felt like the preschooler who goes for a playdate, has a splendid time and throws a tantrum when Mom comes to pick him up. I understand now why he yells and cries and refuses to get his shoes in protest of his impending departure. I resisted the idea of reentering reality and couldn't get excited about doing laundry and making dinner.

I did come home to a pleasant scene. My mom had the house clean and was busy creating Caleb's halloween costume. There were pumpkins on the porch from their trip to the pumpkin patch and there were many ribbons and a medal from Alyssa's gymnastics meet (she placed fourth again)that Mom and my sister, Erin, had driven two hours each way for. I am grateful for a sister and mom who took wonderful care of my children while I was sailing away from reality.

8 comments:

Granny said...

What a fun trip! I'm thinking Dad and I need to make that weekend getaway some day.

We had a great time with the kids.
Even the drive to Kelso was fun.

Chad said...

looks great

Erin said...

Look at you fancypants!

Glad you had such a good time. Makes me want to look into cruises to my side of Canada.

jenny said...

What a blessing to have such a willing mom to watch the kids while you got to sail away. I really LONG for Doug and I do have a short getaway like that.

Your cruise looked so much fun!

Jen Childers said...

What a fun weekend...that definitey looks funner than Leavenworth! I'm so glad you guys got to get away from reality and have such a fun time together and with your friends.:)

Calamity Jane said...

How fun! I am so glad that someone else knows what a Nainimo bar is. My favorite Canadian vice!

Lucy said...

THAT LOOKS AWESOME! I want to come. I am seriously having pangs. You guys would be a blast to go on a cruise with too. Someday....let's plan it;)

Mostly, I'm glad you had a good time and I'm not overly jealous at all. Mostly.

Heather said...

Its so important to get away once in a while with just the hubby. Even if it is just for the weekend. Looks like you guys had a blast.