Sunday, May 20, 2007

Can't Win For Trying

We've been battling this problem for quite some time. We've followed the doctor's orders but we can't seem to win. Does this look familiar?

Caleb went to see the GI for a follow-up visit about three weeks ago. We'd completed the two doses of TriLyte (I wrote about the first one here) and were hopeful that his x-rays would show all pathways clear! Although his insides looked better, he was still not sufficiently cleaned out. So what do we do now? Repeat the process. Two more doses. Except this time, instead of consuming the medicine once every hour, Caleb needed to drink it every thirty minutes. And nothing to eat until the medicine is completed. Taking 8 oz. every thirty minutes means it takes 8 hours to finish the jug.

Caleb took the news like a champ! He did not complain and simply said, "Mom, do you think in 2008 I won't have to take this medicine anymore?"

"That's what we're shooting for, Buddy. We gotta try this another time and hopefully you'll never have to drink it again."

Caleb took the first jug last weekend and because the second of the two needs to follow one week later, today was the day for what we'd hoped was the last gallon!

At 7:00 this morning I told Caleb that we needed to get started on his medicine. His reaction was quite shocking as he enthusiastically replied, "Oh good, because I feel like I'm going to throw up. My tummy feels sick like it always does so I need that medicine right away." The symptoms are all too familiar to him as he's struggled with numerous debilitating episodes which cause him fatigue and extreme nausea. How can the pipes be that backed up when we're using extra strength Drano?

Four cups went down smoothly as I hurried to get the kids and myself ready for church. I bottled up four more doses to take with us. We were rushed but I managed to get the medicine to the church kitchen and slide into Sacrament meeting just as it was starting.

Exactly one half-hour later Caleb and I quietly slipped out for him to drink the syrupy, salty drug. He got half of the cup down when he suddenly covered his mouth and gasped, "Oh no!" The poor boy tried to make it to the nearby garbage can but poor Mommy was left with a mess in the church kitchen. And just as my luck would have it, the paper towel dispenser was empty. I ran back and forth from the bathroom getting paper towels while Caleb hovered over the can. He pulled himself together and even managed to get the rest of the medicine down but he was a bit of a mess. I went back into Sacrament Meeting and explained what had happened to Jon. We decided that I would take him home and Jon would keep the girls at church. Once again, Caleb and I stood to leave. He made it to the bushes outside before getting sick again and then held his cup to his mouth the whole way home.

What do we do now? He can't keep the medicine down but is not going to feel better until he gets cleaned out, and I think this medicine is that best way to do that. We decided that he should take a rest and then we'd try again after awhile.

We'll just keep trying. This can't go on forever, can it?

11 comments:

Granny said...

Poor baby! He has gone through so much with this. Sorry, Buddy! I can't imagine how he could possibly be backed up again.

(Maybe it's the stomach flu that has been going around this time.)

Hang in there, both of you.

jenny said...

Poor Caleb and poor mom. That really is the pits. I hope he feels better. Wouldn't any one feel nasious drinking that much liquid so quickly anyway? I REALLY hope that they find a cure for his sick little tummy.

Hang in there and big {{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

Sure feel sorry for both of you! If wishes were fishes, Caleb and I could exchange half of our symptoms and our bodies would both work fine and we'd both be better. But that's now how life is. I need to stay away from so many things, and Caleb's system must need more of some things. Sure hope all gets better.

Emily said...

Poor guy!! I really hope he's feeling better soon and you guys can get everything figured out. (((hugs))) to you both.

Lucy said...

I'm so sorry Tara. I know this has been a great trial for your whole family and we are praying for you. I hope this passes soon.

Jen Childers said...

Oh man...that just stinks! Caleb is such a good sport. I sure hope that you guys can figure it out. You will be in our prayers, as well:)

Stephanie said...

What a bummer, so sorry he is down again. It comes on so fast, he seemed just fine last night I would have never guessed.

Erin said...

Oh man! That is terrible!

Did the doctor say there was nothing else they could do? I can't believe all that nasty medicine didn't get him clean.

Hopefully it will all be over soon. And I hope Caleb won't have to take the medicine in 2008 either.

Jay said...

So sorry Caleb. What a champ he is, though.

Chad said...

Here's to 2008! Caleb is definitely a champ!

Jackie said...

It really does seem that Caleb is handling this like a champ. Way to go Caleb! Let's hope that the doctor's can get this thing figured out. I feel for you Tara!