Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Spring Cleaning!

It's a total cleanout but unfortunately I am not referring to my house. After Caleb experienced yet another debilitating episode (purposely being vague) at the end of March (his 4th in 7 months), the Gastroenterologist prescribed a complete cleanout. I thought the triple dosage of Mirilax that we have tried several times was supposed to do the same thing but apparently this is a little more drastic. His recurrent symptoms have resulted in more than two weeks of missed school days and more doctor visits than I care to remember. We need drastic.


I don't care how much of an optimist you are, this jug is half empty!


The prescription is a gallon of water mixed with a medicine called TriLyte and is consumed by drinking one cup every hour until it is gone. It is a medication that is given to patients that are going in for a colonoscopy--we're talking squeaky clean. The prescription comes with "flavor packs" and the patient is supposed to choose one flavor to make the liquid more palatable. Caleb chose lemon lime with the flavor of Sprite in mind. I sampled a sip of the syrupy stuff so I'd be more able to sympathize. It's awful!

Yeah, it's that bad! (these shots are not posed!)


I knew it was going to be difficult so I've naturally been dreading the day when we had to go through with it. We needed to do it on a day that we didn't have much going on. Since it's spring break, today was as good a day as any. The first dose went down at 7:30 this morning and we've been going to battle every hour since. While he's done his share of complaining with phrases such as "This is just a bad day!", "I don't like days with stinky drinks that make me want to puke!" or "This medicine just freaks me out!", Caleb really has been a trooper! We'll still need to do four more doses tomorrow and then we can be done with it until next week when we're supposed to repeat the process. I can't let myself think about mutiny that I might have on my hands when I have to break that news!


Evidently if you wipe your tongue on a towel after every gulp, it makes it a little more bearable.


The house still needs its cleanout. I hope Caleb stays clean longer than my house ever does!:)

11 comments:

jenny said...

Ahhh Tara that is just terrible. Poor Caleb. I don't even like taking "good" tasting medicine if there is such a thing. My Luke wipes his tongue on a rag--he is the worst at taking anything. I hope it works for him. Big hugs from us!

Granny said...

Poor Caleb, and Poor Mommy. I am so glad it is you and not me being the "bad medicine lady."

Let's hope this one does the trick. You've all been through enough with this ailment.

Give each other a hug for me.

Camille said...

Poor Caleb, it's probably just as bad for you though. Hopefully this does the trick and you never have to do it again... well, after next week. Hang in there.

Jen Childers said...

Oh, Tara....I'm so sorry you guys are still dealing with this. Poor Caleb. I hope this works and he is feeling better! Good luck:)

Erin said...

Oh, that poor little boy! Good luck to both of you...hope this does the trick!

Heather said...

Poor Caleb! Tara, your trip looked amazing. Jay and I would love to do that one day but we really want to take our kids so our plan is to do it in 10 years when all of them are old enough to appreciate it. Infact we may even take them out of school for the year, I will homeschool them, so we can take our time, drive and see everything! How long were you gone? Heather

Tara said...

Heather,
We were gone for 9 days. We got to see so much but there is still so much that we didn't see. It would take quite some time to see it all!

It really was a great trip and I would recommend it to everyone!

Lucy said...

I so hope this works! Poor Caleb. Poor you and Jon. But I love his sayings. Is it bad that I giggled when you wrote, "I don't like days with stinky drinks that make me want to puke."

Well said, Caleb. I wouldn't either.

Stephanie said...

That is a great accomplishment Caleb! I don't think I could drink all of that. Hopefully that does the trick!

Bridget said...

Poor kid! I hope this will help him. What a trouper! I don't think I would be that strong.

Jay said...

I feel for you, Caleb, and your mom and dad. Hang in there buddy!