Saturday, April 14, 2007

Tiptoe Through the Tulips

If you are ever in the Seattle area in the first few weeks of April, a must see (in our opinion) is to go up to the Skagit Valley and see all the tulips blooming in hundreds of acres of fields. It is an amazing sight to see--rows and rows of colorful tulips as far as the eye can see.

The Skagit valley is 60 miles north of Seattle and some of the pioneer settlers in this area come from Holland. They brought their farming traditions as well as raising tulips and other flowers. They now sell their bulbs all over the world and they ship fresh flowers to Pike Place market and other areas each day.

Skagit Valley 2007


One of our favorite places to go is Tulip Town. Here you can catch a tractor ride through fields of tulips. Inside there are murals of the same scenery you could see if you walked outside.


I think our favorite tulip color is red. It is just stunning to see what are seemingly endless fields of red tulips.



Alyssa took this photo of us. Not bad eh? Perhaps a career as a photographer is in her future.

Alyssa is our only child that actually likes to pose for the camera! You probably will see many pictures of her since she is the only one to stay still long enough.


Natalie "tiptoeing" through the tulips.





The Evans called us and said they had come up. We met and went to Roozengaarde.

The boys riding the bull"frog".




Here are my favorite "two-lips".

See ya next year, tulips!

8 comments:

Jen Childers said...

I can't believe I've lived here for awhile and have yet to go there. There was an article in our paper today about the settlers to the area and how the climate and conditions are similar to Holland. I will definitely go there next year! I loved all the pictures. It's simply breathtaking...I can't even imagine what it would be like in person.

jenny said...

With that being my FAVORITE flower of all time, I have to someday go there. What a beautiful place and perfect for pictures. That would be a great place for Christmas pictures. Can you tell I take mine SUPER early?

jenny said...

Oh, and ha ha Jon. I just saw your corny joke ")

Jackie said...

You guys got some great pictures! You definately chose a better day to go. We were freezing!

Lucy said...

Gorgeous! I love tulips and you all look beautiful in them!

Stephanie said...

Can't say that we helped you guys tip toe through the tulips at Roozengaarde! It was fun meeting up with you. Your pictures turned out great!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic collection of pictures and the colors are just stunning. My favorites are of your two gorgeous girls together!

Heather said...

I have always wanted to go to see the Tulips. They are gorgeous! Maybe someday I will make it there! Great pictures...that's a scrapbook page for sure!