Saturday, April 21, 2007

Derby Debut

Kyle Lightning!
Meet Kyle Lightning. It may be Dad's creation but the name was all Caleb! He wanted his car to look like Lightning McQueen but have the NASCAR sticker and number five as a tribute to Kyle Busch, his favorite NASCAR driver.

He earned the Most Animated award. That's fitting, isn't it?


The pleasure on Caleb's face is reward enough
for all of Dad's hard work!

He won two out of his five runs. Not enough to be in the
ranks of the fastest cars but he never came in last either.

Precise placement can mean the difference in the race.

Our high-tech track included a computerized sensor at the finish line. The races were tracked on a computer program which was able to transfer the results from the finish line to the scoreboard projector on the wall within seconds. Pretty cool stuff!

Who's gonna win...

Is this fun or what?


This is what winning feels like! I jumped and cheered too; I felt happy for Jon's creation but more importantly, relief that I wouldn't have to give the good sportsmanship lecture on this round!

Nothing like sharing good times with your two best friends! Caleb was just as excited for their cars as he was his own.

This is what Best of Show looks like. His dad was also awarded the People's Choice/Busiest Dad award. His dad used real car paint for this amazing paint job. He tried to explain the process but he lost me after the second step. The detailing on the front was done with cameleon paint which changes colors as the car moves in different light, and costs $500 a pint! The Cameleon earned endless oohs and aahs but unfortunately was not very fast.



I see now why the dads get so fired up about this whole Pinewood Derby thing. It really is fun! It's great to see the sheer excitement in the boys' faces. Now if we can just foster some better sportsmanship in our son, it will be that much more enjoyable. He wasn't the prettiest or the fastest, but Kyle Lightning provided us some good clean fun!

16 comments:

jenny said...

Very impressive Jon!! And that car on the bottom WOAH! Seriously $500. I guess they take this pinewood derby thing pretty hardcore. Looks like a fun night.

Emily said...

Sounds like such a fun day! Kyle McQueen turned out great- congrats!

Emily said...

I meant Lightning- oops!

Camille said...

Those pictures of the boys during the race are hilarious! Way to capture the moment!

Anonymous said...

I do remember the #9 car when I was reminded. Great car--great to see the pictures of the kids.

Jay said...

Congragulations Jon and Caleb! The car looks awesome!

Jen Childers said...

Wow..I'm glad Caleb had a fun time at the Derby. Jon did a good job making the car just as Caleb would like! Looking forward to these soon.

Unknown said...

WOAH! That is the coolest Derby car I have ever laid my peepers on! :)

Jackie said...

Great car, even if it was John's baby. It's great to see the joy on Caleb's face. That is what the pinewood derby is all about! I'm sad that it was our last year and Austin wasn't there. Oh well, we have one more boy coming up.

Unknown said...

Pinewood derby is the sole reason my hubby is counting down the days until my son is in scouting. He already has his award-winning car all designed and ready. Funny but I thought it was a competition for the boys. :-)

Great pictures!

Erin said...

The set-up looks exactly like our derby...complete with excited boys! Makes me sad that I didn't take any pictures.

Kyle Lightning looks great! What a fun car!

Kelly said...

I bought two car kits (at what $4 a car?) just in case we messed up cutting the first. And I thought I was being a little extravagant.

$500 paint, that is hilarious. Our pack purchased the super snazzy sensor for this year, two disgruntled dads in one big brawl will warrant such a splurge. Would you just die if your husband was throwing punches at a Cub Scout event?

Stephanie said...

Cute pictures. That was a fun event, look forward to next year!

Jenn said...

Tara, you really captured the spirit of the pinewood derby with your pictures! Looks like Caleb had a great time and that's what it's all about. Mike and Aaron are coming home soon from our derby. Stay tuned for our results. :)

DarkWing said...

OH I miss pinewood derbys! My brothers got to do them and I was so jealous.
The pictures really brought back the memories :)

Lucy said...

Congrats Caleb (oh...you too, jon). The car looks incredible. Very, very real. And I love the story behind the name. My boys did too. Sounds like we might have to get together for some sort of NASCAR event. Who would have thought it back in our profiler/pretender days. Have we gone that much downhill or closer to the tracks?

OK...I know it's a respectable sport (kind of).