Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Men From The Boys


Pinewood Derby. That is code for: a fierce competition where a father's tool skills, creativity and overall manliness are put to the test; all disguised as a fun activity for Cub Scouts.

I love a good competition. I'm a passionate person and I like to win. When my football team (no need to name names) loses, it can ruin my whole day! Yet, I don't feel the fire of the Pinewood Derby. What's wrong with me? Perhaps it's my gender that keeps me from fully understanding its significance in the life of a man (and his son.)

Jon vowed that his kid's car would rival in both appearance and performance. Though he had never completed any project of the sort, he was going to take his car-making debut seriously. He did not disappoint.

Caleb is obsessed with the movie "Cars" so we were not surprised by his desire to have a racer that resembled Lightning McQueen. Not very original, but that minor fact couldn't keep his father from creating a masterpiece. Using Caleb's toy McQueen as a guide, Jon traced the outline onto the wood block.

"Are you going to have Caleb do any of this?" I asked.

"He can help with the sanding." That made sense, I thought, he is a little young for sharp tools. Jon carefully cut out the body of the car and then moved to the sanding, which he did meticulously with his nifty Dremel tool.

"I thought you said Caleb would do the sanding."

"He can paint it." I was beginning to see how this would go. Jon beamed with pride as he presented the perfectly sanded car with its wonderfully smooth lines.

The next step was to add weight to the car. I didn't even know that was a step. Evidently, it's the most important one--along with making sure the wheels are aligned properly and spinning at optimum speed. Now I know.

The next available evening was set aside for the paint job. Jon and Caleb went to the garage to do the job together. After a few minutes Caleb came in the house and started watching TV.

"Did you paint your car?"

"Well, I tried but I didn't really know how to hold the can the right way so Dad is doing it." Translation: Caleb's eight-year-old haphazardness with the paint can threatened to destroy his father's handiwork, so Jon had no choice but to take over.

"I thought you were going to have Caleb paint it."

"He can put the stickers on." I don't need to expound, you can guess what happened with this step, too.

A high-gloss finish was all that remained. Jon made yet another trip to the store because apparently you don't know all the supplies you'll need at the time the first trip is made. After he (meaning Jon, Caleb's opinions were vetoed) was satisfied with the sticker placement, he took his baby (the car) to the garage to spray the finishing touch.

OH NO! The glossy coat caused the paint on the top of the car to wrinkle and crack! How is that going to look next to the car done by the dad that works in an auto body shop for a living? He used real car paint on his son's car. He's already been a threat to every other father's pride, even before anyone has actually seen his finished product!

Surprisingly, Jon handled this setback with grace. I felt badly for him and did my best to express my sincerest sympathies. Never fear, the ruined paint job will be restored to its original beauty by race time.

So what is this competition all about? Is it for the men, or the boys? The men painstakingly create the cars, dreaming of the accolades that his work of art will bring to the family's good name. The boys, they don cute Cub uniforms and cheer their fathers' efforts down the track. I guess it's fun for all!

Stay tuned for the unveiling and results tomorrow.

9 comments:

Granny said...

Too cute! Oh how well I remember the Pinewood Derbies at "Scrub Scrouts."

With us it was a Mom and Chad project. Needless to say, we didn't produce the best looking car, but we took second one year. The secret is the right amount of grafite on counter sunk wheels and Pledge on the track.

jenny said...

I am totally laughing. Jon and Doug should be doing these projects together. Ours is still in the "in between" phase and waiting for more TLC. I guess I am with you and really can't share the passion these guys have for their pinewood masterpieces. Can't wait for the results and to see the mean Jon mobile revealed! Oh, I meant Caleb's car. :)

Erin said...

We had our Pinewood Derby in March. One night, we had a man bring his saw and all the boys cut their cars. Suffice it to say, EVERYONE had a dad with them there that day. And the dads had to "approve" the design before it was cut. Quite hilarious!

Lucy said...

This starts for us in a few years and I think we'll have you guys all beat. You know how Jay is anyway but if there is wood involved, it undoubtedly will be worse. I like the blurry photo. I'm all a flutter waiting to see the final result!

Bridget said...

The things I have to look forward to with a boy. Thanks for the insight. :)

Chad said...

Oh boy! Those were the days for sure! I never could beat the dang Okelberry boys! Mom and I tried to no avail every blasted year. I hope Caleb and Jon win it all!

Karen said...

JOn never had to worry about either of his parents doing his car--if he did one. Sad commentary, I can't remember if he did.

Jay said...

Oh Tara, you hit the PWD nail on the head. As a recently relieved Cubmaster, I have a new appreciation for the whole "competition" of the Derby. Amazing what a five ounce piece of wood and four wheels can turn otherwise reasonable dad's into!

I have already vowed not to be one of those. Of course, I also have many ideas of what works or doesn't work, and I'm sure I can make the fastest, best looking car there is.

Seth won't mind if I do it all if he wins, will he???

Good luck Jon (and Caleb, I guess). I hope it looks great, and doesn't fall of the track and break into pieces on the first run down.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Emily said...

I think here they have kid *and* parent races, lol. Can't wait to hear the results!