Thursday, May 31, 2007

Almost Perfect

I love traditions. Camping on Memorial Day weekend with many of our friends is a family tradition that the kids look forward to all year long. This year's trip was almost perfect!
We went to Camp Zarahemla this year, an amazingly beautiful place. I loved this view of the lake! Aside from one chilly day and a very few sprinkles, the weather was great! We enjoyed sunny blue skies and when compared to the downpours we endured last year, I'd consider it perfect!
Our cabin was perfect with its beds and electricity (we don't normally camp with such luxuries) except when Natalie locked herself inside. She had locked the door but couldn't figure out how to unlock it. The key, of course, was inside with her. We tried talking to her but she eventually came so upset and could not be calmed. After exhausting all options we were considering breaking a window to get her out. I offered many silent prayers through my tears and after one spoken prayer (thanks Camille!), Jon was able to force the locked window open and while the lock looked stretched beyond its limit, nothing was damaged.
The lake was perfectly fun with the canoes and rowboat except when footballs and baseballs rolled down the steep hill and into the water. The water is much too cold for swimming but Jon forced himself in for the sake of a ball. Since he was already wet and freezing, he decided to try out the rope swing. I worried about broken legs and arms but he survived and we all enjoyed the show!

The kids love to play and spend time with their friends. With over 20 other kids to choose from, there is always an available playmate, or two.


Our talent show was a lot of fun! We even had an amphitheater with microphones! Jon and I sang a little ditty about our traditional camping trip set to the tune of "Rise and Shout." Caleb belted out "Ring of Fire" and Alyssa treated us to a little gymnastics show. So many fun acts provided lots of good belly laughs. It was perfect except that none of my pictures turned out. I would have had so many good, embarrassing photos of our friends--Bummer!



The food? It was just simply perfect! I love cooking outdoors and everything always tastes better when we're camping. We had a dutch oven potluck with all the other families for one of our dinners. Everyone contributed something and we had quite the spread. I made my Mac and Cheese--so yummy!

This is a classic picture. Zeke is looking at me in disgust while I read from my dutch oven cookbook, trying to defend my theory that there actually is a science to this method of cooking. I openly admit that the food turned out fabulously, but I still don't plan to give up my precise coal-counting ways. :)

Another year and many more memories. We had a wonderful holiday weekend!

9 comments:

jenny said...

Go Jon and for the sake of the ball!

Bummer about the locked door, sounds like something Luke would have done. He freaks easiliy under pressure. The place you went looks absolutely gorgeous. Glad you had a wonderful weekend!

Erin said...

Wow, what camping luxury!

I'm extremely jealous...there aren't a lot of good camping options out here and it is definitely something we both miss terribly.

Emily said...

That does look like fun! I'm excited to go camping this summer-- it's been awhile for us.

Anonymous said...

Looks like great fun! We always enjoy pictures. Thanks for posting.

Jackie said...

Thanks for coordinating this weekend. It was a lot of fun!

Stephanie said...

So glad you guys like to camp!

Lucy said...

Yeah...totally jealous here! Really, it looks like fun and I'm so glad you have been able to keep up such a fun tradition! I wish I could have seen all of your performances!

Jen Childers said...

What a fun tradition with good friends! Poor Natalie...that happened to Ansel when we lived in the house in Utah. I had him all bundled up and I went out to start the car (it was winter and freezing) and I locked myself out. It was definietly more traumatic for me, I think. WE did have to break a window though to get to him. I loved all your pics. It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall and enjoy your talents:)

Jenn said...

Wanna trade weeks with me? Glad you guys had a great time. We miss the good times with friends!Hmmm...might have to be something we plan for next Mem. day.