Thursday, January 10, 2008

In Like a Lion

The New Year arrived in the midst of a difficult time for our family. My dad was hospitalized for a couple of days which presented many concerns, stresses and heartbreaks. I’ll save details and personal emotions for a more private forum but will suffice it to say that it was very challenging.

We have started down the road to recovery. My dad is doing better every day and while the road will be much longer for both of my parents, it is a relief to be travelling toward that end. I am hopeful.

Jon has always been the calm in my storm. He has a way of smoothing my ruffled feathers while the water runs readily over his. My extended family has always loved him but his invaluable help and support through this trial has earned him hero status. There were also many small and grand ways in which I could see the hand of the Lord seeing us through. I’m grateful for these blessings and for countless answered prayers.

In addition to all the time spent assisting my parents, Jon also had to perform his first wedding and is currently preparing for his first funeral as Bishop. The wedding took place Saturday afternoon and later that same evening, he received news that a sweet sister in our ward suffered a stroke. He went quickly to the hospital, met with her children and gave her a blessing. She passed away on Tuesday.

Jon’s coworkers are astonished by all that he is able to do while keeping up with his career. His manager at work has been supportive of his calling and even expressed that he sees it as valuable experience which developments his management skills. The flexible schedule that has come with his job in recent months has been an enormous blessing. We actually found it quite humorous that Jon’s what-I-did-this-weekend conversation at the office included joining a couple as man and wife. He gave us some good laughs as he rehearsed the ceremony at home but he assures me that he didn’t (I wasn’t at the ceremony) include his famous dance moves when he performed the real thing. We needed some good laughs. Leave it to Hero Jon to provide them.

This may not be how we imagined welcoming the New Year but we will count our blessings and look forward to more tranquil months ahead. It may have come in like a lion, but I know that 2008 will have its share of lambs.

9 comments:

Camille said...

I'm glad your dad is doing better. You have such a neat family and we pray that things will continually look up for all of you.

Jen Childers said...

I'm so glad your Dad is gettting better. Your family continues to be in our prayers! I'm so glad Jon has been the calm in your storm. He is an amazing guy...and now he's actually married some people! Crazy! Can't wait to hear more details and see those dance moves:)

Erin said...

I am stunned to her that the sister in your ward passed away. I bet Jon is grateful he went to see her.

We are all extremely grateful for Hero Jon. And his wedding dance moves were highly entertaining!

Granny said...

Well, Jon certainly was my rock and is my hero. I'm not sure how I would have handled things without him.

His calm, his humor, and willingness to change all of his plans to be there for us, were such a support to me.

What a guy!

Things are looking better...thanks to everyone's support and prayers!

Heather said...

T- Im sorry to hear that the start of 2008 has been a rough one. Im glad to hear your dad is doing better and hope you will fill us in a little more. I always smile when I think about your parents...good people. Hope you are doing well, and Im glad to know my friend has been so blessed with such a wonderful blessing...I feel the same way about Jay. God is good.

Chad said...

As I told Jon directly, he is definitely a Hero. I am extremely appreciative for all that he has done and continues to do for my sister and their children, my parents, and for me and my wife. Jon is man among men to be sure. Thanks again Jon!

jenny said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. Family illnesses are always so hard and scary. Glad he is on the road of recovery.

Jon just has a way to make people feel at ease and laugh. Doug has a way of doing that as well. I am normally a mess! I can only imagine the "practice" moves he was using on the ceremony.

Calamity Jane said...

Oh how we pray for the Bishop and his family!!! Hang in there, I just know that whatever the year 2008 has in store you will be up to the challenge. I am constantly amazed at how wonderful your family is.

Lucy said...

I am so happy to hear that your dad is on the road to recovery. When Jon called us, I was alarmed for your parents, saddened by your sacrifice of Salish and hopeful because the prognosis seemed positive (at least according to what Jay knew from the report Jon read him).

I love how well you and Jon complement each other. You really are a perfect balance.

And you know I appreciated the mention of his dance move. It's one of my favorite things in the world. He's definitely a hero.