Friday, January 25, 2008

Partner in Crime

Natalie and Emma are two-year old buddies. The girls were born exactly four weeks apart and since Emma lives just three doors away, they have grown up together. Emma is small in stature, has a shy demeanor and distinguishing red curls. Natalie, a tall, spunky social butterfly with big brown eyes, is quite different. They are both beginning to spread their wings of independence and have recently made the transition from parallel to interactive play. We still deal with the occasional brawl over that toy or the other but their hugs and smiles are proof that they are quite fond of one another.



The other day, Emma came over to play. The girls pushed toy strollers around the house and made an occasional stop at the play kitchen to prepare an imaginary meal for their babies. After quite some time, I heard the door open and the girls ventured out for what I assumed was a walk down to Emma’s house where their older sisters and brothers were playing. I didn’t think another second about it and soon became occupied in a phone conversation with Jon.

I was upstairs, in my room, when I heard Natalie say, “She’s in here.” Then I could hear the voice of an adult woman but was unable to make out what she was saying. I walked quickly to the landing and looked down.

“Hello?”

It was a strange woman standing in my hallway, looking up at me. She had entered my house through my open garage, continued past my unkempt laundry room and came down the hall to the base of the stairs. She explained that these two girlfriends had been playing in the street, waving to cars as they drove by. This twenty-something lady was evidently concerned enough for their safety that she did not hesitate to enter my home uninvited. After a brief conversation, she left the same way she had entered, past the most disheveled parts of my house. There is a reason that laundry rooms are not located by the front door. Shouldn’t laundry rooms be considered part of our personal space?

The girls and I watched her leave through the window of the girls' bedroom. A second woman waited in a cherry red VW bug. It was clear that the two had stopped to pick up a flyer for the house that is for sale across the street when they were met by these cute little girls. Jon, meanwhile, remained on the line, urging me to fill him in but I was too shocked to form my emotions into words. I felt embarrassed that I appeared a negligent parent, stunned that a complete stranger had just come in the house and relieved that the girls were safe.




It looks like we need to have a talk about staying on the sidewalk. Well, and a little more attentive mother might help, too.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Well, apparently that woman doesn't know how it works on Perry Ave. It wouldn't be normal if your kids actually asked to go outside and weren't running around reaking havoc with their respective McInelly!

I still can't believe that woman just walked in your house! Good thing she was concerned, I guess.

Chad said...

Wow. That is kind of scary. I must admit that while reading this post I was reminded of Natalie talking to Grandma on the phone saying, "Gamma, I naughty!" Ha Ha. Sweet, beautiful, and a tad naughty at times. What a great little girl!!! We sure do love her and all of you!

Granny said...

Those two are so cute together. Your post is well titled, and I love the pictures.

I guess some sidewalk discussion is in order. They just have such a good time moving back and forth between the two houses.

Jen Childers said...

Those are such cute pictures and it's so nice having a built in friend so close! They'll get better as they get older, but that is too funny about that woman. I agree with the laundry room part. I hate that mine is our main entry way from the garage. It will definitely change in our remodel! Have a great weekend and try to keep on eye on those kids:)

Jackie said...

That is so fun for the girls to have a friend right down the street to grow up with. Cute pictures of the girls!

jenny said...

All I can say is glad no one was hurt. But I have SO been there! Don't be so hard on your mothering skills :)

Ben and Carrie said...

They are so cute together. The two of them together remind me of when I filled in for nursery a few months ago and I asked Emma to sit down for snack time and Natalie yelled out, "McInelly!!!" It was so funny to hear her call Emma that. They are both darling little girls.

Heather said...

The youngest always seems to have a mind of their own! I know Ty does! ANd YES, the laundry room is personal space!

Lucy said...

They couldn't be cuter in their matching swim suits. Is it warm enough for that kind of play there?

I know the horrors of other parents pointing out the dangers your child is in. You're relieved, but bugged and embarrassed and ready to leave. But I guess you can't leave when she's in your own home!

I know I'd be mortified if someone walked through my house. At least it was your laundry room. I mean, laundry rooms are usually messy. Aren't they? Please tell me it's okay for them to be messy.