Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Neglected and Naughty

Two words to describe Natalie this week.

We arrived home from church on Sunday feeling spiritually uplifted from a wonderful Stake Conference over which Elder Bednar presided. Jon had been battling a headache so he immediately went in search of some medicine while I rushed to the kitchen to heat up some left-overs for lunch. After some time I noticed that Natalie was missing and wondered aloud at her whereabouts. I figured she had gone upstairs to play or was perhaps watching a show in my room. A few minutes later Alyssa announced that she was going to look for her sister. She returned shortly to tell me that she could not find Natalie. I didn't immediately panic but instead began my own search. Alyssa followed me upstairs and we looked together. I felt a sudden impression to check the garage and told Alyssa to go there while I looked under the girls' beds.

Sure enough, she was in the garage. She remained strapped in her carseat, gasping for breath through her frantic sobs. I couldn't get her out fast enough or hold her close enough as the guilty tears welled up in my own eyes. We spent the rest of the day reassuring her of our love and making sure she would be able to forgive us for our neglect. The poor thing had been left in the car for over 30 minutes!

This evening, I again noticed an air void of Natalie noise and after a quick search of the house, I went to the garage. There she was, this time unrestrained, turning my food storage containers into her own personal sandbox.

The wheat, which we don't use since we have yet to purchase a wheat grinder, was left unscathed but scoops of it were mixed with my often-used and perfectly good supply of flour and sugar. Ugh!

The garage is not the place for Natalie. But we do love her, we really do.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Oh no! Two horrible experiences! Hope you can get your food supplies back in order.

Chad said...

Poor Baby! At least fear turned to fun later, naughty though it may have been.

Jen Childers said...

I have done that myself, so don't feel too bad! That's a bummer about the flour and sugar. She was just getting back at you. Hard to be mad when you feel guilty, huh? :)

Lucy said...

Oh, Tara. I feel, feel, feel your pain. Should we get Natalie and Henry together and wait to be stunned?

I'm glad you felt prompted to go look for her after church. When it's silent around here, I know I'm in trouble.

Ben and Carrie said...

You're posts are so funny.......and they make me feel better. Once, when Chloe was a baby (8 months or so) I left her napping in her carseat in the car in the garage. I lost track of time and when I went out to check on her so too was screaming and crying so hard she could hardly breathe. She had been awake for quite some time in a dark garage. I felt like the worst parent ever.

jenny said...

Silent is NEVER a good thing for Weston either. Here is to a better week!

Tammy said...

You're not the only one! I think it was Rachel I left in the car once--luckily like you, it wasn't hot outside!

And as far as mischief makers, Sophie and Natalie must have formed a club this week. I noticed one of those "noise voids" tonight. I went upstairs and she was happily throwing things like the entire new roll of TP in the toilet and swishing them around with the toilet bowl brush and dancing around in the water she was sloshing on the floor. What a bummer about your sugar and flour. Save them for her to play in later.

Jackie said...

Oh yes, we have done the same thing. I think it was Colin, must be that 3rd child. Good thing they don't remember a lot of what we did to them as kids!

Bridget said...

Poor thing! She must not have been too scared since she was back in the garage later. :) Whoever said silence is golden must not have had small children.