Saturday, June 9, 2007

Potty Talk

We use a lot of potty talk at our house. Discussing all aspects of bathroom visits is something we've been forced to become comfortable with. We can't be embarrassed by questions of timing, quanity, texture and shape; it's just a part of our everyday lives.

Yesterday's wait for the doctor seemed unusually long. We were growing restless and finding it increasly difficult to contain our energetic two-year old. We don't normally bring her to Caleb's appointments but Jon wanted to be involved with this latest visit, to meet the doctor that has been treating Caleb for the last several months, so it became a family outing of sorts. (Alyssa had gladly accepted a playdate offer instead.) As we waited, Natalie climbed all over the office. At one point she lay on the exam table, kicked her feet in the air, and mischievously laughed, "Caleb poops!" If only it were that simple!

We've definitely had our moments of finding humor in an extremely frustrating situation. Caleb's doctor has a very thick accent which makes potty talk all the funnier! She pronounces his name 'Ka leeb' and the 'oo' in poop seems particularly accentuated. Her accent combined with Caleb's speech and language difficulties makes for very interesting patient/doctor conversations. I serve as translator on both sides! Jon and I have laughed about this many times as I've rehearsed this scenario for him. We both struggled to contain our giggles behind tight-lipped grins as Jon experienced it in person for the first time yesterday.

But really, this is no laughing matter. X-rays showed that Caleb is every bit as "full" as he's always been. How can it be that four gallons of TriLyte, daily doses of Mirilax and frequent bathroom visits don't work? He's been going twice a day and there's still that much inside? Unbelievable!

The next step in his treatment invovles a medication called GoLytely which is administered via a nasogastric tube. Who named this drug GoLytely? Are you kidding? If it's anything like the TriLyte, GoViolently would be much more accurate!
The procedure, done in the office, involves having a tube inserted through the nose and into the stomach. His nose will be numbed to the make the insertion more comfortable. He will also have an IV to control his fluids since he won't be allowed to eat or drink. The GoLytely will be given throughout the day in increasing volumes and he will have to walk the halls every half-hour to encourage movement. An x-ray will be done at the end of the day to confirm that all is clear.




Caleb did his best to be brave but he eventually broke down, crying. He has seen two other children in the office going through the same procedure and he didn't want to "look funny" like them. I choked back my own tears as my heart broke for him. He's been so cooperative through all of this, taking massive amounts of disgusting medicine. We tried to console him by saying, "Just think how fast you'll be able to run when we get your tummy cleaned out!"

I know he'll be able to handle this procedure as gracefully as any boy can and I have high hopes that this could be the solution to this poopy situation. Maybe then, we won't have so much potty talk at our house!

12 comments:

Granny said...

Poor Caleb! He has been such a good sport through this whole thing.

It's great to be able to find a little humor in these situations.

Hang in there Little Buddy. We love you.

Jen Childers said...

Wow...still backed up...was there any change? That is so crazy! I pray and hope this next procedure does the trick. Caleb is such a trooper. When does this blessed procedure take place?

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read that Caleb's problem still persists! Too bad he and I can't exchange half and half of our problems and then we'd both have more "normal" outputs!!

Jackie said...

Hopefully this precedure will work and all will be clear. If you need any help just know that I am always available for anything!

jenny said...

I had no idea Caleb's stomach problems were so in depth. Poor Caleb! I can't believe 4 gallons of that nasty stuff didn't help.

Despite it all Natalie's comment was classic. It gave me a chuckle.

Hang in there!

Tammy said...

Good luck, Caleb! Natalie and Alyssa are more than welcome to come play at our house next time you have to go in. Natalie would really entertain Sophia!

Lucy said...

Ugh. Poor Caleb and Poor Mommy and Daddy. Really, who names these medicines? GoLYtely?

Hang in there Tara! There has got to be a big silver pot at the end of this!

Emily said...

Just adding my sympathies. Hope this next procedure helps!!

andrea said...

Tara, I'm Lucy's friend and a lurker on your blog. My two youngest kids had the go-lytely procedure prior to surgery last year. It is miserable but they came through it just fine. I feel your pain. My life revolves around poop. I'm sure Lucy can fill you in on all the details if you are interested. If things don't improve for Caleb get in touch with me via Lucy and I can share with you what I'm doing for my two kids to keep them regular.

donna said...

Wow I am so sorry to hear about Caleb!!! He will be in our prayers.
Are you coming to the baptism on Saturday? It will be great to meet you.

Erin said...

As an adult who had to endure "funny" procedures during childhood I definitely feel for poor Caleb.

Tell him we wish him the best and hope all goes well.

Bridget said...

Poor little man! I think I would just have to sit down with him and have a good cry. We will be thinking of you all.