Sunday, June 24, 2007

City Mouse, Country Mouse

Alyssa's gymnastics team has a number of performances or events to attend this summer. The first of such events was the Buckley Log Show parade, held yesterday in the small town of Buckley, which is about 15 miles from where we live. Although we didn't know what to expect or what her involvement would be, she really wanted to participate.

We got up early and made the drive to Buckley where Alyssa met up with her coach and teammates. They took their place in the parade line-up and we found a nice spot to watch. I could tell that this was not going to be like any other parade I'd ever attended. I immediately felt like the city mouse that visited the country. This is Carhartt and suspenders territory. Beards and camouflage hats. This parade consisted mostly of semi-trucks and Caterpillars. There were literally more than 40 diesel-guzzling 18 wheelers with deafening horns, which they repeatedly blared as they passed.

I couldn't resist snapping a picture of this country mouse that was sitting next to us with his family. At one point in the parade he warned his young daughters, BobbiSue and Suzanna, to "Cover your ears, here comes Lance!" That was good advice. Lance's rig was equipped with the loudest horn I've ever heard. Jon said, "That's as loud as a train!" It really was.

The horns were too much for Caleb. He kept his ears tightly covered for the majority of the parade! He grew tired of the trucks and longed for the traditional marching band! The truck drivers did dispense large amounts of candy to the kids in the crowd. Though it was challenging for Caleb to pick up the treats while keeping his hands over his ears, he and Natalie managed to gather quite a stash!


At the end of the long line of trucks came Alyssa. We were excited to see her cartwheeling down the street, waving to the crowd. I had doubted if she was ready for this event. She's so little and has only been in gymnastics for six months and a member of the team for one. But she looked like a natural out there and she can't wait for her next parade!


She's the one in the middle, wearing blue! Though her team has more than 30 gymnasts, only seven participated in the parade.




What would a good ole country parade be without a group of square dancers? They rocked out to their caller singing "Macho Man."

We had a fun day in the country. Maybe next year we will attend some of the other events of the log show. They do sound like fun, even for city folk like us.

10 comments:

Jen Childers said...

That is too funny! Alyssa looks so big cartwheeling down the street. Sounds like a fun and interesting morning.

Erin said...

Alyssa is so little! But so cute!

Mom and I both died over BobbiSue and Suzanna! Love the picture of Caleb and Natty with their stash!

Looks like a fun day in the country.

Chad said...

Wow! Reminds me of her mother many years ago! Love the country names and pics.

Emily said...

She looks adorable out there!!

Stephanie said...

Didn't know there was a Buckley parade. Will she be in the "Good ol Day's" Parade also?

Jackie said...

Love the picture of the "country mouse". I love small towns, maybe not to live in, but to visit! Looks like Alyssa was having fun.

jenny said...

I can't wait for the day Taylor is in parades. I grew up marching in them and dancing. I am sure my parents had their share of small parades. She looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

Always fun to see pictures. The parades when I grew up were usually lots of horses instead of trucks, but definitely country! I'm glad Alyssa is enjoying her gymnastics team.

Lucy said...

I can't believe she was in a parade! Oh...that little girl is going to have quite the opportunities if she is starting so young!

Jared McInelly said...

I forgot to tell you, I was talking to one of my customers the other day and I remembered that he likes to pull carts in different parades. I asked him if he'd gone to any lately and he said that the last one he went to was the Buckley Log show. He's the guy pulling the square dancers in your picture! Small world I guess.