Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Two Worlds Collide

There are two main worlds in Alyssa's universe.  Many other smaller bodies are included in the continual orbit, but gymnastics and church are the major planets in the solar system of her existence.  Those two worlds make up the very fiber of her being and are the basis of her identity.  Both are often misunderstood and/or unappreciated by those not of that world.  Outsiders question decisions, commitments and the value of each world's importance in her life.  Isn't it human nature for us to desire a sense of belonging?  To be understood?  To be surrounded by those who "get" us?

For one beautiful week, Alyssa's two worlds came together in a sort of cosmic perfection.  Suddenly she was surrounded by others who understood BOTH of her central planets.  And she had the time of her life!


Ready to get the camp started!

BYU was magical for me and even now, 20 years later, just walking across campus leaves me feeling entirely twitterpated.  My cheer squad used to practice once a week in the gymnastics gym.  It was a bit surreal to drop my daughter off in that same place.


Cosmo was there to kick things off.

Alyssa is not know for her displays of excitement, but after that first day of camp, the spring in her step was undeniable.  She came bounding up to me to say, "Mom! [the head coach] said she wants me here at BYU!"  I, being the emotional antithesis of my daughter, did my best to contain my excitement as I asked questions of the day's events.  Alyssa said that after watching her train, the coach asked her age, graduating class and whether or not she was LDS.  She also asked where she was from.  After all questions had been answered she then said, "Yeah, I want you here at BYU."

Throughout the week, the coach would mention to others that Alyssa was from Auburn.  We're so grateful to belong to a gym that is well known and respected as highly competitive in the gymnastics community.

Every day of camp was a delight and a love affair with the Cannon Center also ensued.  They do an exceptional job of accommodating the gluten-free eater, which only added another layer of understanding to the whole BYU experience.  Alyssa could be herself on every single level.  

After lunch each day, Lys would spend the rest of her lunch break playing cards and hanging out in the dorms of some of the other girls.  (She's already decided that next time, she will stay on campus like most of the other campers did.)

Friday came and it was time to say good bye.  She wanted to get a couple of pictures with some of her favorite people of the week.  (Unfortunately the only camera I had with me was my phone and I think it takes crummy pictures.) 

Cathy, from Vancouver BC, and Alyssa became friends on the first day.  They were the youngest in their 9/10 training group and they stuck together.  Ashley and Raquel were her favorite coaches.  Both are former BYU gymnasts and Raquel even has our same last name!


Then Lys asked Dawn, half of the husband-wife head coaching team, for a picture.  Dawn said, "I'd love it!"

She posed and smiled and as soon as I'd clicked the image, looked me square in the eye and stated, "I really want her here at BYU."


My heart all a flutter with pride, I did my best to control the octave of my voice as I replied that "It is her dream to do gymnastics at BYU!"

Dawn explained that she wanted me to go online and fill out a recruiting form.  As she was telling me where to go and how to find it, I started to panic.  I wanted to get all the information right, so I reached in my purse to take out my notepad so that I could write down what she was telling me to do.  When I asked her to repeat her instructions, she said, "Just call my phone right now so that I will have all of your information.  I watched as she entered her information below my name in her contacts:

Alyssa Hatch
2019
Auburn

Then she said, "If you give me her meet schedule, I will come watch her compete."   And just before we left she turned to Alyssa and said, "You just keep working hard."

We couldn't have asked for more.  Two worlds collided to provide a wonderful week of belonging, appreciation and value.

Oh BYU, I love you!  But Alyssa, I love you SO much more!  You make me proud, Babe.

6 comments:

Chad said...

Lys, you rock!

Granny said...

So exciting. This definitely brought a tear to my eye.

Erin said...

Wow! That's amazing. Lys, you are SO lucky to have the opportunity to have such wonderful experiences.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad the week went so well for her!

Jen Childers said...

Alyssa + BYU = AWESOME!!! Love that she was so happy and that they recognized the talent she has! Can't wait to cheer her on!

Michelle said...

As a parent, it really doesn't get much better then seeing your child's dreams come true :) Especially when it's one they've worked so hard to make come true! You have to be exceptionally talented to make it into college gymnastics, and Lys, you are well on your way! I pray your body stays healthy, and your love for gymnastics just continues to grow over the next several years, and that your DREAM in fact, does come true! YOU ROCK! BYU would be lucky to have such an exceptional girl.