Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Tween Girl

You know those moments in life that force you to accept that your child is growing up?  The moments that are sweet because you love the person your child is becoming but bitter because you see childhood slipping away?  I had one of those moments last Saturday.

Alyssa's schedule was free of gymnastics so she planned a shopping outing with Linsey.  Just Linsey.  I wasn't invited.  Her first trip to the mall without an adult was kind of a big deal for her.  And me.

She carefully selected her outfit, then applied some pink eye shadow, mascara and lip gloss.  She readied her purse with just the right amount of cash--deciding it was best to leave most of it at home.

I drove the girls to the mall while they excitedly talked about which stores they wanted to visit.


They shopped their favorite stores, trying on funky shoes and taking Instagram shots before treating themselves to DQ Blizzards.


She came home giddy.  No, hyper.  A wonderful Saturday in the life of a tween girl.

Alyssa doesn't like to spend her money.  At all.  She still has birthday money from several years ago.  So when she came bounding in the door holding a shopping bag, I was quite surprised.

"I bought a new church dress!" she exclaimed.

She wore it the very next day.


She sure is growing up.  Isn't she lovely?

10 comments:

Lucy said...

She is definitely lovely. It's hard for me to think of her as an almost teen because she is so small! But, what a lovely young woman she is and I'm glad she had such a fun time with her friend. A very cute dress find too!

Michelle said...

She is lovely indeed! What a fun day for her and her friend. I remember the first time I got to go to the mall with a friend by myself :) I think I was in the 7th grade!

Emily said...

I remember some great times at the mall with friends! And yes, she is lovely!

Jen Childers said...

It's so hard to see our kids grow up, but exciting and fun at the same time. Alyssa is beautiful and I predict going to break a few hearts! What a fun day for her!

Granny said...

Beautiful and lovely, for sure! I love her new dress.

Camille said...

I thought she picked out a really cute dress all on her own. Can't believe these girls are growing up so fast....

Erin said...

I still can't get over them going to the mall by themselves! Must be because I'm in such a different season in life...

She looks beautiful!

SuburbiaMom said...

Yes, she is lovely! Come over and cry with me on the fact that they just don't stop growing!!!

Chad said...

Such a great and gorgeous young lady!

Craythorn Family said...

She picked out a very lovely dress. How old is Alyssa now? My Taylor turns 12 in a few more weeks. Not sure I am ready for that.