Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Welcome, 2013!


Our New Year's celebration started with dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory.  Then we made our way to our friend's office building located on Lake Union in Seattle.  We had the building to ourselves and amazing views of the lake and the Space Needle.

The kids watched movies.


And drew on whiteboards.


And played ping-ping, foosball and x-box in the company's game room.



We poured the sparkling cider into goblets and got out the hats, tiaras, leis and noisemakers in preparation for the stroke of midnight.


The Space Needle fireworks are spectacular and provide an exciting welcome to the New Year.






We enjoyed the great view from the private balcony.



Then offered a toast to 2013.




Perfect.

We fell into bed somewhere around 2:00 a.m. 

I woke at 10:00 a.m. New Year's Day to a most crystal clear blue sky.  It was just the weather I'd been waiting for to take a gondola ride that promised an unsurpassed view of Mt. Rainier.

My pictures can't do it justice.  


The gondola ascends 2,500 feet in less than ten minutes.  Can you see the parking lot down there?  This is the view from half-way point:


Looking toward the summit:


Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker and the Olympics are all visible in the panoramic view.  Truly breathtaking!











The sun felt so warm and I swear I could've stared at the view all day.  

Jon was itching to join the skiers and even though I've never been, I have to admit that the whole experience made me want to try.  





When we got home, our cousins were already at our house waiting for us.  The kids played all night long.  Jon, Jen, Christopher and I went out to dinner and then to see Les Mis.  I loved it even more the second time!

What a great start to the year 2013!  

7 comments:

Granny said...

Fun, fun, fun! Beautiful pictures.

Lucy said...

What pretty pictures! Your fireworks shots are amazing.

The mountain looks like so much fun. What a pretty view. I love snow covered mountains and I'm glad you got your view.

Beautiful family! And Happy New Years!

Erin said...

Wow! We did...absolutely nothing! New Year's isn't much fun with young ones.

Oh, and that gondola looks positively frightening!

Chad said...

Looks like a fun party and certainly a gorgeous view on both days! You guys are a constant party over there!

SuburbiaMom said...

Your pictures of the Space Needle are breathtaking! Looks like a blast ringing in the new year!

Jen Childers said...

Awesome pics of New Year's Eve and day! We had fun with you guys and I'm already itching to see Les Mis again!

Craythorn Family said...

What a fun New Years Ever/Day! We went to bed at 4am.....glad I don't do that every night!