Monday, June 27, 2011

Rock and Roll 2011

It definitely wasn't my best race. I have no less than 3 theories for why I felt so weak throughout the majority of the 13.1 miles, but I'll never really know why so I'm trying not to dwell on it. And here's the good news: I endured to the end and still had a great finishing time--even if it wasn't my fastest--so I'm going to give myself some credit for that.

We started the race together but by mile 6 or 7 I started to lag behind. I was struggling. A lot. It was definitely discouraging to be giving it everything I had but still not be able to close the 2 or 3 yard gap that separated me from my running partners that I'd trained so many hours with.

I knew our families would be waiting to cheer us on (and take pictures) between miles 10 and 11 and I wanted more than anything to be able to be in the pictures together as a group. I pushed and grimaced and pulled at my side as I fought through a terrible side ache. But I couldn't do it. I am running solo in the pictures because I couldn't keep up. It hurt my pride. I was definitely sad. But I was still grateful for my little group of fans so I smiled and gave them a wave.

I crossed the finish line with a time of 1:53:36. Still a very respectable time and this race wasn't all about time for me anyway. I was happy that my many silent prayers just to be able to finish were answered.


After meeting up with my fans, we went back out to the finish to watch Jay come in from the marathon. He's an amazing runner and it was really fun to have Lucy and the family come for this event. It was so exciting to watch Jay come in with a personal best time--2:53:37--and finish in 2nd place in his division! Unbelievable.
Then we all headed back out for a third time to cheer Christopher onto the finish.



The three in-law runners. I admit to feeling like a lesser-achiever standing next to these two marathoners.


And finally, a shout out to our "athletic supporters." Really, their love and encouragement meant the world to me.

So there you have it. That is how you rock and roll in Seattle!

6 comments:

Granny said...

I think you are amazing just to finish, no matter what the time. AND...that time is pretty impressive. You beat everybody from our Ward who ran the race.

Way to go T!!!!!!!

SuburbiaMom said...

It was probably just an off day--you rock and roll at running! Congrats at finishing such a race, Tara!!

Craythorn Family said...

You rock T!!! Congrats on finishing the race!

Michelle said...

Well I, for one, think you should be nothing but proud of yourself! What a great example you are to any athlete, Tara! It's so easy to want to give up when things feel "off" or when you're in pain like you were... but you kept going! That's what matters, that's when you get stronger! And to think you still ran a 1/2 marathon in less then 2 hours while in all that discomfort is nothing short of amazing!! Great job!

Jen Childers said...

I agree with everybody and think you did an amazing job! Way to rock & roll!

Sara said...

Way to go, Tara Laine! You are amazing and such an inspiration to me! I wish I could run, but it hurts too bad :) I guess I am a whimp. I would have never made it. You rock!