Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Like Macaroni and Cheese

In our younger years--about 1997

"We go together like peas and carrots," I said to Jon the other day. "But we don't ever eat peas with carrots so I don't like that one. How about...macaroni and cheese," I decided. "Yeah, because what good is macaroni without cheese?"

We were planning to celebrate our 15 fabulous years by going to the U2 concert. Our plans were changed, however, when Jon's uncle passed away and he traveled to his funeral in Utah instead. It was a very small sacrifice, really. We were both so, SO glad he was able to be there.

So, now we're planning a New York trip instead. Even better! And we went out for an extravagant steak dinner last night, too. He got peppercorn on his steak, I opted for crab on mine. Our waiter fluffled the potatoes and tossed the salad tableside and served an elaborate fruit, nut, cheese and crackers spread after dinner--a complimentary tradition we were told. It was wonderful!

Jon bought me a beautiful new watch and found the perfect card. It read:

Like bacon and eggs, like ham and cheese, like cookies and milk, like cake and ice cream...We belong together.

"Or like mac-n-cheese," he wrote on the bottom of the card.

Yeah, just like that.

6 comments:

Emily said...

So sweet- I think I'm jealous of your New York trip! Happy Anniversary.

SuburbiaMom said...

Happy 15th!! Have fun in NY! Love the "old" photo!

Erin said...

New York is SOOOOOO much better. I actually can not picture you anywhere near a U2 concert! Happy Anniversary!

Jen Childers said...

Happy 15th! The concert was awesome, but I'm so glad Jon was able to go to the funeral. How fun that you guys are going to NY!!! Here's to many more happy years. Thanks for loving my brother so much. He's one lucky guy!

Amy Jones said...

Wow...that's pretty much how I remember you guys. It's still a little disconcerting whenever you post a current photo. I always think, "Hey, she doesn't look like a 14 year old anymore!" (Though you still look FAR from your actual age, missy.)

Camille said...

You two are PERFECT for each other! I'm glad you got to sneak away for a nice dinner together.