Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mailman Dave

Evidently our mailman's name is Dave. I've never met him nor do I even know what he looks like, but he must be related to Lane Myer's paper boy, Johnny. Remember him?

"I want my two dollars!"

Mailman Dave delivered a piece of mail for Natalie last Thursday. It was a simple thank you from a friend written on a single piece of printer paper. The note was not folded flat but was crumpled, which is the only reason I can think of that would make two first class stamps insufficient postage. The envelope was stamped "postage due."

Taped to the envelope was this collection envelope:


We laughed at the extra bold numbering and underlining that signaled Mailman Dave's urgency in being paid and then set it aside with every intent to repay him in full. But we forgot about the debt for a couple of days.

Today, instead of any mail in our mailbox, we had this note:

Evidently Mailman Dave is refusing to deliver our mail until we pay him the 34 cents that are rightfully his.

We laughed, then we quickly gathered some coins and deposited them in our mailbox where they are waiting for Mailman Dave.

Our debt has been settled. Now, can we please have our mail?

8 comments:

Amy said...

I am shocked he didn't demand the two dollars! Love that movie!

jenny said...

He really held your mail? That is hilarious. Don't mess with Mailman Dave!

Jen Childers said...

Um...I think it's against the law to withhold mail. That really is funny and sad at the same time.

Amy Jones said...

Oh...don't get me started on mailman stories! Of course, I must admit that this pretty much trumps them all. I'm glad you shared.

SuburbiaMom said...

Ha, ha! What a unique experience. Mailman Dave really needed that 34 cents!

Erin said...

The paper boy is one of my favorite parts of that movie! It makes me sad as well that Mailman Dave needed his 34 cents so badly. But it really is a funny story! Hopefully you get your mail tomorrow!

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

Hilarious. Love this story. :)

Michelle said...

hahaha, oh my goodness. that is too funny!