Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rock N' Roll 1/2 Marathon

I did it. I ran 13.1 miles!

It was a definite challenge.

It was exhilarating.

I'll do it again...just not anytime too soon. I'm way too sore for that kind of craziness.

I've always been in awe of marathon runners but I now have an even greater respect for them after running only half of their distance. In that last mile as I thought my legs may give out on the rest of my body, I swore--with Stephanie as my witness--that I would never attempt the full 26. I don't know how it's humanly possible.

Jon woke at 5:30 am yesterday morning and drove us to the starting line in Tukwila. He pointed to the distant Seattle skyline and said, "You're going to run to those buildings." They really did seem so far away. It wasn't the first time in the last few months that I wondered at my sanity. After all, I've worked more recently than I have at any time in the last decade. It wasn't the most convenient time to push my body to new limits but the sense of accomplishment was ever so worth it.

Here we are at the start of the race. I was definitely nervous.

I was really impressed with the organization of the whole event. Our gear was shuttled to the finish line via UPS trucks. It was so funny to see them all lined up in a row. We were assigned one of 25 trucks according to the alphabetical order of our last name.

I've never seen so many porta-potties in my life! Row and rows of potties for lines and lines of runners. We waited for quite some time for our turn to use the blessed things.

The course was Seattle scenery at its best. Many miles were run right along Lake Washington. The weather was ideal; sunny and 70 degrees.

At mile 9, the course turned into the I-90 tunnel. It was a good sized hill getting into the tunnel but that was only the beginning of a difficult part of the course for me. It was dark and extremely humid inside the tunnel. Since this was a Rock N'Roll marathon, there was a live band every mile. One of the bands was located at the end of the tunnel which created a loud reverberating noise throughout. I'm a sweaty pig to begin with, but that tunnel about did me in. I started to sweat profusely, and my wet palms couldn't wipe the perspiration from my face fast enough. It was such a relief to feel the rush of fresh air once we left the confines of the tunnel. Unfortunately, most of the remaining three miles were hard after that.

I did feel good coming down the freeway ramp into downtown Seattle. I could see the finish and felt the thrill from the cheering crowds of people. At that point I told Stephanie, "I hope my family came." I knew Jon was going to come to pick us up but I wasn't sure my family would make the trek and brave the throngs of people. But not more than 1/2 mile later, I saw my two oldest kids and Jon holding signs and cheering me on. I was so glad to see them...except that I was horrified by Alyssa's hair. She had day-old french braids that had been through a three hour gymnastics workout and then a full night against the pillow. I couldn't believe her daddy brought her without running a brush through her hair!

Shortly after passing my fans, I saw the mile 12 marker ahead and seriously started to wonder if my legs would carry me to the finish. I wasn't in any pain but just felt general weakness in my legs. It felt as though they had a mind of their own and were contemplating collapse at any moment. I slowed just a bit and willed myself to run one final mile.

I crossed the finish line at 1:53:33, averaging an 8:40 mile pace.

I felt so good. So tired, but so good.

The "after" picture.

My cheerleaders and their cute signs. The posters were given out the day before the race at the health expo where we picked up our race packets. They had fun decorating them and I loved seeing them.

I came home to a cute sign on the house from Natalie. She stayed home with Grandma and Grandpa. Special thanks to them for watching her and for providing my night-before carbo load and race day celebration meals. And, a thorough rubbing of my sore feet by Grandma.

My legs are hurting today. There were many signs along the route that said, "Pain is temporary, pride is forever." So true. The pride of the accomplishment is certainly worth the pain.

Here's to Rock'n and Roll'n again in 2010!

15 comments:

Granny said...

Yeah Tara! We are so proud of you and all of your hard work!

Way to go!

Stephanie said...

I am so glad you ended up doing this. It was fun training, and run it together. Thanks for a great memory. I am up for 2010!

Erin said...

I'm not sure if I could make it 13 miles or not but I definitely know I wouldn't be able to average less than 9 minutes a mile! Great job! Looks like a really fun time.

Erin said...

P.S. - Seeing these Skinny Minnie pictures of you definitely makes me want to back out of family pictures in a few weeks!

Jen Childers said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome. Sounds like a fun race. I can't believe you're already ready to sign up again. Way to go:)

Lucy said...

I didn't even know you were doing this. Way to go, Tara. I'm amazed and impressed.

Craythorn Family said...

Way to go T!!! My sister did the same thing a few weeks ago. I admire you both. My knees don't agree with running, so I won't be joining that race any time soon. Very impressed!

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

Tara, congrats on such a great accomplishment! I loved reading all about your race, and got quite a chuckle out of your reaction to seeing Alyssa's hair!! Such a perfectionist at heart! Good job, awesome work!! I hope you're not too sore!

Chad said...

Way to go Sis! I couldn't do that right now or probably ever! Amy and I agree with Erin, you are going to make us all look bad in the pictures. :) Proud of you!!

Melissa said...

Way to go Tara! What a great accomplishment. The best part now is you can always say you've done a half! And I love that you RAN the whole race- with a great pace!

Amy Jones said...

I'm practically speechless. Which, as you know, is fairly uncommon. You are utterly amazing to me. I've reached to point in my life I don't even like running for the phone let alone running to another town!

You have my admiration (and jealousy...just a bit). Way to go! :)

Amy Jones said...

Oh...and I would totally notice my daughter's unkempt hair even in the midst of such a physical challenge. I mean really, do they not know where the brushes are?

Men. :)

Ben and Carrie said...

What a huge accomplishment- way to go! It ALMOST makes me want to do it someday too..... I just don't know if I could. But that is such a huge thing to say that you have done it.

And that is hilarious, that amidst your fatigue and near collapsing, you notice Alyssa's hair do, or lack thereof. I laughed out loud because I would have noticed right away too.......

Placido Domingo said...

Way to go Tara!!! Congratulations. Pain may only be temporary, but it really, really hurts. Ha Ha. Really impressed that you did it, on top of everything else you do!

J

jenny said...

Way to go Tara!! I am so proud of you. I am happy to hear your Rock and Roll was much more of a positive experience than mine. I think crossing the finish line no matter how tired you feel is so inspiring to do it all again.

Congrats, your time was awesome!!