Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Overdue Christmas Recap

Because I have a terrible memory and I know I'll be glad to have it documented, I'm doing this after-the-fact Christmas post.

Everything was perfect. A very merry Christmas, indeed!

We started with our traditional Christmas Eve spread.

Alyssa had gymnastics earlier in the day and was still dressed in her leotard when we started the celebrating.

After eyeing the goods all day, the kids could finally dig into the Christmas cookies! Doesn't her smile say it all?

After dinner we went for a drive to see some lights. The "blue house" draws such a crowd that they added a food bank collection box in front of their blinding display. The kids each took a can to contribute.

These pictures can't even begin to capture just how obnoxious this house is. Puts the Griswolds to shame. Their poor neighbors. But it's fun to drive by.

When we got home, we played "The Night Before Christmas" game and everyone was excited to open their gifts to find a movie ticket to "The Tale of Despereaux" for Christmas Day.

Then we did our traditional read and sing nativity. The kids took turns reading the scriptures and sang all the carols loud and clear.

Next on the schedule was watching "Joy to the World" followed by opening one gift from under the tree. We ended our night with watching the Little Drummer Boy. And eating lots more cookies.

Santa brought all sorts of goodies while we slept. Caleb got his new NCAA Wii game, which could not be more perfect for him. Alyssa was thrilled with an Easy Bake Oven and Natalie was spoiled with a slew of "baby stuff."

We ate a yummy Christmas breakfast before breaking into the rest of the gifts.

Jon was so happy with his Guitar Hero surprise from Mom and Dad. He's really good.

We finished cleaning up the mess of wrapping paper just in time to shower and dress for our early afternoon movie.

It was a cute story with a good message. And we filled up on lots of buttery popcorn.

We ended our evening with a traditional Christmas dinner.

The following day, Mom and I braved the mall to help the girls experience the Build-a-Bear gift she had given them.



They had a great time but all that Christmas excitement had finally caught up with them.


I know the feeling. Putting on Christmas is a whole lotta work!

But other than the rather large car-breaking blemish, Christmas was wonderful in every way.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great Christmas- it all looked super fun! I'm glad I didn't see your so-good cookies before (You are really talented)... I'm sure mine tasted fine... but I went with the sprinkles to make them look festive:)

Lucy said...

Oh my, I love it all. That house! And in all blue too. Creepy.

Seth and Sam love NCAA for wii. They made BYU their favorite team and have gotten them ranked #1. BYU beats USC, Florida...all the power houses. And I get to hear the fight song all day. Fun, fun, fun!

Everything looks great. Jon looks like a natural with the guitar:)

Jenn said...

Looks like you guys captured the Christmas spirit! Sorry to hear about your car. Bummer!

Erin said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Even if it makes me a little sad. I'm glad you did the belated post as well.

jenny said...

We too got a guitar hero for Christmas (which I have yet to play) but my kids and DOug LOVE it.

That light display is impressive and blue is even more interesting. We always joke that people who celebrate Hanukkah use that color. Which seems a tad ridiculous.

Glad you had a wonderful Christmas!

Chad said...

Looks like a wonderful Christmas. I am definitely jealous of Caleb's NCAA game. I want to play too! Let us know how things are going with Pilot.

Jen Childers said...

O.K. that house with the blue lights hurt my eyes as I was looking at it...I can't imagine in person. Too funny. I've heard that Guitar Hero is quite fun. Lucy's right..Jon looks like a natural. It looks like a magical wonderful Christmas! Thanks for sharing.