Thursday, June 19, 2008

More Growing Pains

The school year ended with the same lump-in-my-throat feeling I had when it started back in September. It was a good school year for both of the kids and bringing it to a close is emotional for me in many ways.

Alyssa brought home a "Memory Video" DVD which included the Mother's Tea program the first graders did as well as a slide show of her class. She quickly put it into the DVD player. Though I've felt on the verge of tears for the past couple of days, I had been holding together quite well being the crier that I am. Then, Alyssa's precious baby-doll face popped up on my TV screen while the lyrics of "Let Them Be Little" played as background music. I lost it. I had to leave the room.

I can remember when you fit in the palm of my hand.
You felt so good in it; no bigger than a minute.
How it amazes me you're changin' with every blink.
Faster than a flower blooms, they grow up all too soon.

So let them be little,
'Cause they're only that way for a while.
Give 'em hope, give them praise,
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,
Oh, but let them be little.


Summer means a whole lot more noise, mess, arguing and a greater need for TV regulation all of which makes me very tired just thinking about it. But the end of a school year also means that my kids are that much older, that that many more moments of childhood are spent and that that mile post of life is passed. It means that we will soon have to start all over with new teachers and new routines. At the root of it, it means change. I don't like change.


We found out today that Alyssa's "boyfriend" of two years is moving to a different school next year. We're really sad to see this adorable little guy go but at least I won't have to worry anymore about their hand-holding. It's cute now, but talk about growing up too fast!

Fifth grade. Doesn't the sound of it make you shudder? One more year of elementary school, that's all we have left with Caleb. I'm already losing sleep over it.

We did, however, get a good dose of pain reliever with today's round of growing pains. It came in the form of an academic achievement award that Caleb earned at an assembly this morning. The award is given each trimester to the students who achieve a 3.5 or higher GPA. He narrowly missed the award during the first two trimesters of the year but this trimester he succeeded. This is a big accomplishment for him and we were proud.


We'll soon adjust to our new "normal" and I'll be free of these particular growing pains...until September.

9 comments:

Lucy said...

I didn't know little Lyssa had a boyfriend. You're right, super cute now, but oh that would give me a heartattack. Me, the mother of the boy.

I can't believe Caleb will be in his last year of elementary school next year. Middle school terrifies me, and I completely understand the ache in your heart watching these adorable little people grow up.

Erin said...

So much to say...

The lyrics of that song made me sniffle. I get so excited the more that Anna learns then I get sad 'cause I realize she's not a little baby anymore.

I remember hearing about Alyssa's boyfriend. But I didn't know that they held hands everywhere they went! So funny but yes, scary.

I absolutely love the last picture of Caleb. He looks so proud.

Finally, cute teacher gifts!

Chad said...

Wow! Young love is one thing, but yeah really cute. Way to go Caleb J!! We are so proud of you all!

Jen Childers said...

Well we've survived our first full week of summer...The kids sure enjoy it, even if it's more chaotic for us moms. That is a cute pic of Alyssa holding hands! Congrats to Caleb for his awesome achievement. Way to go!!!

Jackie said...

The picture of Caleb looking at his certificate captures the moment so well. Way to go Caleb!

That is a cute picture of Alyssa with her "boyfriend". It is sad that he is moving but I'm sure a relief as well. Ahhh, young love.

Granny said...

Okay, I blubbered all through the reading of this post. It seems so hard to believe the kids are growing up so much.

We are so proud of Caleb. Way to go Bud! Lys and Cameron look so comfortable holding hands. So cute!

I too love the pic of Caleb looking at his certificate. Precious.

jenny said...

Speaking first hand...I am currently dealing with the fighting and tv regulating. I will be glad once the toys are back out (since they are now packed) Congrats to Caleb! That photo of Alyssa and her "boyfriend" are too cute.

Stephanie said...

Cute boyfriend picture, I didn't know they held hands!

This year went way too fast! Like I said the other day, it seems like last week you were trying to decide whether or not to start Caleb in Kindergarten.

Amy Jones said...

Tara, you're an incredible writer. You always express these "pains" so well and I cry over YOUR kids growing up...let alone mine. :)

At the "Lehi Roundup Rodeo Parade" (Yeeha) this last weekend I sat next to someone from Yakima who actually knows all you crazy Washington-ites. Melanie Green. Apparently she's pretty good friends with Tony and his wife. Small world.