Sunday, June 1, 2008

Growing Pains

Natalie has been suffering from occasional growing pains. She complains that her legs hurt and asks me to stretch or squeeze them. More often than not, she is running, jumping around and climbing all over the house--she may just be seeking extra attention—so I’m not at all concerned about her condition. Besides, I’ve had my own discomforts to deal with. Mine are the parental growing pains that a mother feels as she watches her children pass through various stages of life. I keep thinking, “I’m not ready for this.”

A few weeks ago, Caleb had the maturation discussion at school. He brought home a booklet that tactfully explained the changes a boy’s body will go through. He wasn’t at all embarrassed or uncomfortable with talking about what he learned. He was given a sample of Old Spice Red Zone deodorant and told to take care of his body by using it after a daily shower. True to his nature, he’s taken it all very much to heart. He was already in the habit of showering daily, but using that little stick has become serious business. He didn’t even want to store it in the bathroom; he felt more comfortable with it on his night stand so that he would "always know right where it was.” He insists on carrying it personally to the bathroom every morning.

I admit that he sometimes has that sweaty kid smell. He is very active and plays hard so when he comes in from the yard on a warm day, he does emit that musty, doesn’t-smell-good-but-still-not-totally-offensive odor. It’s completely different than actual body odor if you ask me. But I could see the value of establishing good hygiene habits now so since he was showing extreme enthusiasm for his deodorant, I was supportive of its application. I felt all uneasy as I watched him use it for the first time. He held it at the end of one long and gangly arm while the other was bent awkwardly above his head. “Is this right, Mom?” he asked as he began to lather it on the front edge of his bony shoulder. I faked feeling comfortable with the situation as I adjusted his waggling hand to his arm pit.

How did my baby boy get to be a deodorant-wearing preteen? This is just not sitting well with me. A boy who still has size 3/4 boxers in his underwear drawer should not be smelling like an old man. But every time he reaches up to give me a hug—the scent holds strong the whole day through—I get a whiff of that grown-up cologne-like smell. Sure, it’s probably more pleasant than sweaty-kid smell but it’s also an everyday reminder that my boy’s growing up all too fast. There are still so many ways in which he seems younger than others his age which probably only adds to my denial of having arrived at this stage.

Alyssa has also entered a new stage of development that is causing me parental growing pains. She’s been anticipating this event for months, maybe even years. She wiggled her first front tooth out Monday night and the second came out last night. She was unbelievably excited and I tried to share her joy but I really wanted to cry. She couldn’t wait for the tooth fairy to come and even left her a note that read, “Why do you take the teeth?”

Good question.

She does look really cute right now with that gaping hole in her mouth but, I’m all too aware of what fills that space. She’s always been teeny tiny in every way. Everything about her is small, including her mouth. The dentist warned me at her last visit that he could see some big (too big for her mouth) permanent teeth waiting to take root in her gums. Oh the teeth that are about to take over the face of my beautiful little girl! She even said to her dad, “When my big teeth come in, I’m going to look like a bunny.”

Sad but true.

I know I wouldn’t want them to be little forever so we’ll just have to live through these growing pains.

14 comments:

Chad said...

It is definitely hard to see getting older so fast. But they are still really dang cute!

Erin said...

I too am dealing with some growing pains as my baby becomes a toddler. Although learning to clap and wave bye-bye are nothing compared to deodorant use! Too funny!

Granny said...

I thought I noticed a missing tooth in the last post. But, now it's two missing teeth. Is she really old enough?

Deodorant!?! Oh my! I think it was high school for you guys.

I agree with Chad...they are exceptionally cute, even as they grow up.

Tammy said...

I agree! It's no fun going through growing pains.

Ben has that class next week. I'd forgotten about the deodorant part. I personally hate Old Spice, so I bought an unscented deodorant/anti-perspirant for Steven--it keeps him from being an "old man" too soon.

How fun for Alyssa to lose her teeth! Her teeth will be beautiful!

I still remember having growing pains when I was a little girl. Poor little Natalie!

Camille said...

I feel for you Tara. Those growing pains are tough.

jenny said...

I had those growing pains as a kid. I remember them quite well.

And ah yes the good ol' deodorant. I am right there with you. I don't think Taylor is as faithful as she should be about wearing hers. She wasn't so much embarrassed about that then her training bra or undershirt I insisted she starts wearing.

Alyssa is so cute with her no teeth. Jared looked that way and like the dentist said we are now facing some MASSIVE awkward teeth. The joys of that stage eh?

Jen Childers said...

I am laughing so hard right now...what a funny post. I can only imagine you watching Caleb with the deodorant! Too funny. Alyssa looks so cute with her two missing teeth. Can't wait to see the bunny teeth:)

Jenn said...

I am totally in the same boat right now Tara. Aaron just had his first visit with the orthodontist yesterday. We're going to have to get some teeth pulled. Is this for real? What happened to our babies? They're wearing deoderant and going to the orthodontist! These growing pains do ache.

Lucy said...

I love this whole post because, you're right, no matter what age our children are, it's hard seeing any of them grow up. I do admit to smiling about the deodorant on the nightstand, though. I love Caleb. I love how seriously he takes his business. Old Spice. See if you can wean him off the old man smell and on to something a wee bit more...modern?

I can't even imagine Alyssa with big teeth. it's really an unfortunate part of growing up. Can't wait!

We've dealt with leg aches around here too. it's no fun. I hope Natalie doesn't get them too often.

Amy Jones said...

What a good post. You made me tear up a little. Not fair to remind me that time passes all too quickly. Here I am falling apart because my baby is 2 months old...I don't know if I needed to be reminded that he'll be wearing deodorant before I know it. AAAAHHH! Your kids are ADORABLE.

Jackie said...

Yes, it is so sad that our babies are growing up. I was just thinking today about the school being almost over and I feel really sad!

Emily said...

I am so not ready for Brendan and deodorant! Very funny about it out on the nightstand.
Somehow, I think Alyssa's grown up teeth will be small- just like her. I mean, look at that gap! There is only room for one normal sized one!

Sara said...

I loved this post too. I know it's hard to watch our kids grow up, but it's exciting at the same time. I love all the new things they learn and do each day. Isn't being a mom great!

I thought Julia was the latest tooth loser. She has also only lost two teeth, but they were the bottom ones. I'm nervous for her to have big bunny teeth. Such an awkward stage. Alyssa will be beautiful no matter what.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was just doing a search on'training bras' and deodorant and came across your blog! I haven't even thought about the 'growing pains' though - my daughter does have pains in her legs fairly often...I have always just thought it was just muscle strains from being a normal active child!
There is a site for kids (and us parents) called Kidshealth.org facinating and alarming and helpful all at once!
I was fine (I survived anyway) discussing stuff like birth control and diseases when she asked me - but talking in detail of the changes in her body - and the ones to come - I do not want to even think about this!!

Thank you though, I feel less alone in this now.