Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Girl's Camp Getaway

We'll take a getaway any which way we can. Jon's new calling has proved to be every bit as busy as we suspected, so we were really looking forward to going to Girl's Camp together. With our own little cabin to stay in, no kids to worry about, and lots of together time, it was a nice retreat.


Jon had committed to be the priesthood rep at Girl's Camp as part of his previous High Councilor calling and then we were asked to teach a class on prayer, so I went along. I designed a class called, "Prayer is the Passport to Spiritual Power" based on a quote by Pres. Kimball. We taught four sessions of the hour-long class and it went well. It was fun to team teach, an opportunity that doesn't come around too often. I was told today that as the Young Women shared their highlights of camp at church on Sunday, one of the girls said her highlight was our class. After hours of preparation, it's a relief to hear that they enjoyed it.


Jon also had the responsibility of overseeing the archery and BB guns. We both have bruises on our arms, Jon's are much worse than mine, from the bows but shooting the arrows was really fun. I'm a terrible shot, which is no surprise, but Jon was a virtual Robin Hood!




We served strawberry shortcake and played Bishop's bingo with the girls for Bishop's night. Jon used his 100's list (who knew that would come in handy?) to share some interesting facts about himself. The girl's took notes while he shared these funny facts and then used them to fill in a bingo card. They now know lots of useless information about Jon and earned chocolate prizes in the process!

Jon was the resident "techie" and got the movie up and running for movie night and also put together a fun slide show for the girls to view during their last dinner. I helped one night in the kitchen but overall, our responsibilities were minimal. We just enjoyed being together with a small amount of service mixed in.

The kids did so well at Grandma and Grandpa's house while we were away. Grandma had a great schedule set for them which included a daily outing!


The kids didn't miss us for a minute and if I'm being honest, the feeling was mutual. We were, of course, glad to see them again, but we were grateful for a few kid-free days. And with Grandma being hands-down more fun than Mom, it was a win, win situation!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time!

Lucy said...

It sounds perfect! Minus the hundreds of teenage girls:) What a generous grandma and grandpa putting together that daily schedule! Looks like your kids had fun too.

It's still bizarre for me to think of Jon as the bishop and people trying to get to know their bishop. I actually think we did something very similar to that at one of my girls camps and I remember wondering why we had to get to know these old men!! How my perspective has changed. Now I want those youth to know and understand what a fantastic person Jon is and how they can use him as a support during the tumultuous teen years. I totally get it.

I was wondering where you guys were at! Glad to know. Another reason I'm glad you're blogging:)

Stephanie said...

Thanks for all you guys did at girls camp. It was fun having you there.

Erin said...

Wow! Archery and BB Guns...my how camp has changed!

Looks like a fun "getaway". Everytime you guys post pictures of the mountains I get so homesick...and jealous!

Emily said...

What a beautiful place for camp. I'm glad you guys got to go together.

Chad said...

Wow! There is no place like Camp Z. Brings back fun memories!

jenny said...

I still am in shock Jon is bishop. But, it looks like bonus time this time around! Lucky to have your parents close by for a getaway even if it is a church one.

Jackie said...

Glad that you got to spend time with Jon! I think I could be in a motel 8 in SeaTac and have a great time with Brian w/o the kids!