Sunday, August 26, 2007

My Big Break

I used to say I wanted seven kids. That was long before I knew just how challenging parenthood would be.

One summer, between my Junior and Senior year of high school, I was a nanny for a family of five kids. I fed them their meals and did an occasional load of laundry but the majority of my days were spent sitting by the pool at their tennis club while making sure that each of the five children got to their tennis lessons on time. It was the easiest job I ever had. I handled the brood with ease and we shared a mutual adoration for one another.

The kids all came to my graduation the following summer and presented me with a "#1 Mom" charm for my charm bracelet. My naivity led me to believe that motherhood would be just as grand as those summer days by the pool. Five was a piece of cake, seven would be even better! It's important to note, however, that the youngest of "my" five was six, quite independent and most certainly potty trained. Parenthood has brought me many challenges but that one single responsibility of weaning my children of diapers has caused me more fits of anger and frustration than almost, I say almost, anything else.

A few months ago Alyssa suggested that Natalie become potty trained. The scars from my previous two endeavors are deep so I abruptly told her that the time was not right. She's not even two and a half and while she was showing interest, I simply did not have the energy to face the dreadful task. Alyssa continued to propose the idea and finally decided to take it upon herself to dress her sister in panties.

I truly didn't believe it would ever happen to me. Did children that potty train themselves really exist? She actually takes herself when she needs to go. My older two kids took months, or should I say years, to fully grasp the concept. We've dealt with all kinds of accidents, bed wetting and other more serious potty issues but this, this is my big break. And darn it, I think I've earned it!

They are both equally proud of the new "Hello Kitty" and "Curious George" undies!



I still can't believe how easy this has been. In fact, I've hestitated to write about it for fear of a regression. It's just too good to be true! I'll just enjoy this break while it lasts.

13 comments:

Granny said...

Way to go Natty! Alyssa is such a good big sister. I'm proud of both of you, and glad Mommy got a break on this one.

Emily said...

That is great!! Enjoy the life of no diapers!

Lucy said...

Wow! You're out of diapers! I can't believe it. I would love that to be my own story a year from now, but I have a feeling that it's not going to happen.

Congrats Natalie!

Chad said...

Way to go Natty girl! We are excited for Mommy too!

Erin said...

Yea Natty! I like the Curious George and Hello Kitty panties too!

Maybe you can show Anna how it's done in a few years!

Jen Childers said...

Yeah Natalie...I'm so glad you got an easy one. they are nice. Owen has finally mastered the potty as well and it is definitely wonderful!

jenny said...

Yay for Natalie!! Weston is ALMOST there. I fret writing it down due to regression reasons as well. I will say that 5 nights of a dry bed is a big pat on the back for us.

You DEFINITELY needed this break :)

andrea said...

Yes, you do deserve it. I consider potty training on of the most difficult part of parenting. Congratulations on being diaper free!!

Heather said...

I too dread the whole potty training stage...Im sure we could swap some great stories! Huddy was pretty easy too but he decided he wanted to be potty trained so that helped! 3 down 1 more to go! I can almost see the light!

Kelly said...

SPEECHLESS! This can be chalked up there with some of the greatest blessings of all times. You are one lucky mom. Make sure you keep Alyssa around for some of the other frustrating times like drivers ed!

Congratulations!

Jackie said...

Wow-no more diapers! You are in a new stage of life. That is awesome-I hope Sienna is as easy to train as Natalie.

Jenn said...

How fantastic! So great to have a big sis to encourage Natalie. Way to go Alyssa!

Jenn said...

How fantastic! So great to have a big sis to encourage Natalie. Way to go Alyssa!