Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Race Runs Through It

I woke to rain Saturday morning. The forecast called for it, I knew it was coming but I still couldn't help but feel a little downhearted. Afterall, a lot of planning and preparation had gone into the Family Week Fun Run and I worried that the weather would deter many families from coming to the event. Nevertheless, I pulled on my rain boots and headed for the park to begin setting up. Once I set to work, I began to feel an assurance that all would be well. In the end, it was a big success! Many brave runners (we had 143 run the 5K) didn't let large puddles of standing water or the incessent drip keep them from having a good time!


Here are the girls getting lined up for the 2-6 year old race!

The 5K begins!


Here is Camille and me at the half-way point. She ended up beating me by 30 seconds. Good thing she doesn't turn 30 until next week or she would've kept me from winning my age division! :)
Go Jon Go! I was so proud of him for running the race!

Caleb wasn't feeling well (same recurrent symptoms) and had to stop and walk occassionally but he still managed to finish the race with a pretty decent time, 32:47!


That's not a pond! The puddles proved to be very entertaining for the kids!

Steve (my co-chair) and me preparing the certificate and prizes for the winners!

Lunch time!
What a soggy little girl!


I came home relieved that the day had gone so well in spite of the weather. I spent the afternoon sorting through leftover supplies, writing up my review of the day and boxing everything up for another year! Now I can finally begin preparations for our trip. We leave Tuesday for Boston! Oh and one more thing, today is bright and sunny--just my luck!

For more pictures and another point of view on the day read Jared's renditon.


9 comments:

Karen said...

Looks like a fun day. Congratulations on a well-done activity. Have fun on the trip. We'll be eager to hear about it.

Stephanie said...

What a great race Tara! You did a great job, the rain didn't put a damper on anything. Thanks for making it a fun event.

Jon you did awesome, way to go!

-Stephanie

Lucy said...

It kind of looks like fun...running in the rain. The event looks like a smashing success Tara! And congrats for finishing first for your age and congrats to Jon for running it!

Jen Childers said...

good job Hatch family! It sounds like the event was successful and very fun, despite the rain.

Chad said...

Way to go guys! I hope Caleb is feeling better. Have fun in Boston! I am jealous.

Jackie said...

Way to go Tara and John. You guys did awesome! We are such losers-the rain scared us away. I guess we are not true Seattlites yet!

Emily said...

Great job on the event, Tara! Looks like it was a great time. WTG on the running Tara, Jon and Caleb!

jenny said...

That is a way good time for a little guy. I don't run it much faster than that! Looks like all your hard work paid off. That area looks so pretty and green. Have fun on your trip back east!

Bridget said...

What fun! I bet the kids had a blast in the rain. A little rain never hurt anyone. Great job!