Friday, December 13, 2013

My Big Boy

When I was a young mother of an infant son, I asked my aging grandfather if time continued to gather speed throughout a lifetime or if it ever slowed down.  I was already in awe at how quickly my baby boy was growing and changing.  He told me that the years seem to go by faster every year, no matter how old we get.

Oh boy was he right!  (And I'm not yet half as old as my grandfather was.)  This last year, as time was gathering speed, so was Caleb's rate of growth.  I'm struck by the change in just one year.  Look at this side-by-side comparison:


On left:  Caleb in September 2012 as a freshman.  On right:  Caleb in September 2013 as a sophomore.

Isn't that amazing?  He's not only taller but has a lot more bulk, a deep voice and curly hair!

Doesn't he look so big in these photos?






He left Grandma in the dust long ago.


But he's still trying to catch Grandpa.  At this rate, he just might.


As Caleb started this school year, it hit me hard how little time we have left.  Three more Christmases, three more birthdays, two more summers...

He's still young and naive, likes to watch Tom and Jerry and play with the little kids in the neighborhood, but time continues to pick up speed.

How it is possible that we're here already?

9 comments:

Holly said...

The change is almost unbelievable, these kids are growing up too fast!

Granny said...

Way to make a granny cry! My little buddy is just not little anymore.

Erin said...

Incredible! Made me teary too!

SuburbiaMom said...

Growing so much!!!!!

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

What?! So you're telling me time never slows down?! I'm not sure I can handle that!

Camille said...

Wow!!!!

Melissa said...

Wow, the difference between those first two pictures is crazy! He is growing up way too fast (all these kids are!)

Michelle said...

he's huge! what a difference a year makes. I wonder if Alyssa will hit a growth spurt at some point? :)

Jen Childers said...

Those pictures really show how different he is! I agree that time is just speeding by and our little boys are growing up much too quickly.