Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pound The Ground

This was my fifth half-marathon with a lot of firsts.

This is my first time running for a cause.  I didn't know it when I signed up for this race, but it was an event held to benefit a great cause.  The race was called, "Pound the Ground for Ultrasound."  It was put on by a charity called 4US which provides ultrasound equipment to pregnancy resource centers.  Did you know that 96% of pregnant women who have an ultrasound choose to keep their babies?

This was my first time running a race on trails.  Only a small amount of the race was run on pavement.  It was a new experience and harder in some ways, but I liked it.


The course also had a big hill that I had to run twice.  The mile 12 marker was at the top of the second ascent. Yikes!  I think it no coincidence that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" was playing on my iPod as I struggled toward mile 12.  Hills are not my friends.


This was my first time to get blood blisters on my feet.  I started feeling the blisters come on at mile 6.  I told myself, "Just keep running.  Just keep running," kind of like Dory from Finding Nemo.

This is me saying to Jon, "I've got to get these shoes off of my feet!":



Those trails made for filthy legs and feet!


This was my first race running without my original running buddy, Stephanie, who moved away just one week before this race.  I'm so thankful that I still have Camille.


Camille is a rock star on hills and she's way faster than me, but how lucky am I to have such a great friend to train with?


This was the first race where I didn't get a medal.  Instead, finishers are given this pin:


The pin shows the exact size and shape of a 10-week unborn baby's feet.

This race also marked my slowest time ever.  By a long shot.  But it is always an accomplishment to cover that many miles and I was glad to finish.  

Lots of firsts.  Lots of fun.  I think I'll do it again someday.

5 comments:

Jen Childers said...

I didn't even know you were training for a half! Way to go! You rock. I love that pin...what a great idea!

SuburbiaMom said...

What an awesome cause for running a half! Well done!

F said...

awesome! you're a rockstar :) i have to talk to you sometime about how you got into running, was it around the time when you and stephanie were our yw leaders? i have vague memories of you guys talking about it… anyway i'm curious about whether you liked it or made yourself do it etc (at first).

Also, i LOVE that pin! I'm going to have to look for a necklace charm with something like that on it. it pulls at my heartstrings for sure.

Stephanie said...

Way to go at finishing your 5th marathon! Sounds like it was a tough one being mostly on trails and grass. Battle wound to prove how tough it was!

It's cool to think the money you spent on the race went to such a great cause.

I feel sad I wasn't able to run it with you and Camille. Although it was great training with you guys this summer. Best running buddies around:)

Chad said...

Great job!